UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2017, 6:01 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default The Readability of Uploaded Document Pages

The 200KB limit on the file size for .gif, .jpg & .jpg files can be a problem. If you upload one of these files that exceeds the 200KB limit then software associated with the forum converts the file to a lower resolution to bring the file size within the 200KB limit. Very often this process produces a file of the order of 70KB and this results in the readability of text being marginal.

To avoid this problem I use an on-line pdf converter such as

https://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/

to convert the image file to pdf so that I can take advantage of the forum's 1.91MB size limit for pdf files.

There are plenty of other file converters on line. I have a recent version of WORD that has a "Save As" pdf option. This involves pasting the jpg into a Word document and then saving it as a pdf, but I find I get a better result doing a direct jpg to pdf conversion on line.

Below are examples of what I mean. The jpg started life as 700KB and has been converted to 73KB. The pdf is a conversion of the same 700KB jpg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	700KB (73KB).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	153168  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 700kb.pdf (700.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 30th Nov 2017, 6:31 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: The Readability of Uploaded Document Pages

The forum software resizes images to 800*600 pixel resolution. This is normally desirable as many people don't know how to resize digital photos to fit the forum limits, but you're right, it can cause problems when people are trying to upload scanned text or circuit diagrams.

As you say, the best workaround is to convert the image to a PDF document. I normally use Gimp to do this but there are many other software options. The images will also remain unmodified if placed in a ZIP archive.

A document converted to 800*600 will also be more legible if you zoom in. This is easy on a tablet though it can be less straightforward with some desktop browsers, though it's still usually possible. See the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-11-30-17-34-15.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	153170  
Old 30th Nov 2017, 10:25 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

The only way I can zoom in on such images is by saving them and opening using a program such as PhotoEd or Widows picture and fax viewer. Simply copying the image by clicking it and selecting "copy" and pasting into a document doesn't work as it is copied in the low resolution thumbnail format. I am using XP and Chrome.
Old 30th Nov 2017, 10:51 pm   #4
paulsherwin

If you click on the image after you have opened it using the thumbnail, it will open in its own tab. You can also right click on the thumbnail and choose 'open in new tab' or something similar. You can then use the browser's zoom facilities to zoom in on it. Exactly how you do this will depend on the browser and version.
Old 30th Nov 2017, 11:18 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

Ah yes, that does work, thanks.
Old 1st Dec 2017, 10:49 am   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post

As you say, the best workaround is to convert the image to a PDF document. I normally use Gimp to do this but there are many other software options. The images will also remain unmodified if placed in a ZIP archive.
The ZIP format has a slight disadvantage for the end user of course because (s)he has to unzip it before it can be read. With a pdf file, provide you have a pdf reader installed (even the Adobe one is free) the document can be read straight away.

Quote:
The forum software resizes images to 800*600 pixel resolution. This is normally desirable as many people don't know how to resize digital photos to fit the forum limits, but you're right, it can cause problems when people are trying to upload scanned text or circuit diagrams.
When I was working with the original 700KB jpg file I saved a copy at reduced resolution to get it under 200KB (193KB in fact) but the forum software still reduced it to about 70KB. This must have been because, although the file was under 200KB, it must have exceeded one or both of the 800*600 pixel dimensions.
Old 1st Dec 2017, 11:06 am   #7
paulsherwin

Most OS/browser combinations will expand ZIP archives on the fly without you having to extract the files explicitly, but this does vary and most tablets and phones don't support ZIP out of the box. PDF is the best approach overall as you suggest, as in practice most devices will support it.
Old 1st Dec 2017, 11:34 am   #8
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Most OS/browser combinations will expand ZIP archives on the fly without you having to extract the files explicitly............
I wasn't aware of that, thanks Paul.
Closed Thread