UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2018, 3:31 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default A little puzzle

I wonder how many of you recognise the attached picture which shows something I was using earlier today. I will assure you it is on-topic here, and can be discussed on a 'family' forum.

The blue part is flexible elastic plastic (synthetic rubber). The right hand end is hollow, a bit like a large thimble, the open end is a little over 3/4" diameter. The black disk towards the left hand end is rigid plastic, there are 10 equally-spaced holes in a circle in it. These holes are 'blind', they do not go through the device or connect to each other. On the other side is a similar disk with 8 equally-spaced holes in a smaller circle. There are no metal contacts or electrical parts in it, just the plastic.

Probably best not to spoil it for others if you instantly know the answer (or have one and use it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What_Is_It.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	160294  
Old 1st Apr 2018, 3:41 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: A little puzzle

Valve pin straightener/puller.

Lawrence.
Old 1st Apr 2018, 3:43 pm   #3
sortedradio
Heptode

Its for removing valves and straightening the pins I believe!

Crossed with Lawrence!
Old 1st Apr 2018, 3:43 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

Now, that looks decidedly handy, and I daresay it's rather unusual nowadays.
Old 1st Apr 2018, 3:44 pm   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I do instantly know the answer, but remain silent as requested!
I have all-metal versions of the LH end, which of course can't do the job of the RH end.................
Andy
Old 1st Apr 2018, 3:50 pm   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Lawrence is right, see this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=856167 post #11

Regards
Symon.
Old 1st Apr 2018, 4:00 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Yes, a valve remover and pin straightener. The 10-hole side straightens B9A valve pins, the 8 hole side is for B7G. The 'thimble' end will push over a B7G, B8A or B9A valve and pull it straight out of the socket. I find the straight pull to be much kinder on the pin seals then rocking the valve to get it out by hand.

It was very useful to me earlier today. I removed all the valves from my WS88 to check the filament wiring (I did not want the filaments in-circuit for this). This set is so tightly packed that it is almost impossible to grip some of the valves by hand but this tool got them out with no trouble.

I believe Home Radio (Mitcham) sold them years ago. I found it almost as many years ago in the box of oddments they had in the shop that they sold for 5p (or was it 10p) each. It's been in my toolkit ever since.
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 11:29 am   #8
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

From many years ago (early 60s?) I had a very similar device in my toolbox, but mine was black, and was presented to me by a Rep, but I cannot remember from which company.
Sadly it "Waltzed off" whilst I was working for my next to last employer. Tony
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 11:36 am   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember a similar thing that was a braided cloth tube (imagine the outer braid of coax...) that you pushed down over the valve and which then contracted and uniformly gripped the valve when pulled up. Several bits of ex-US-military gear using Loktal valves that I worked on had these 'pullers' supplied.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 9:56 pm   #10
Biggles
Rest in Peace

We use cable pulling "socks" which work on the same principle. You push the woven metal sleeve over the end of the cable and when you apply pulling pressure the mesh sock narrows and grips the cable tightly. Simple but effective.
Closed Thread