UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 11:44 pm   #21
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: Ideal boom size for FM aerial

A fibreglass mast is all very well, but what about the coax cable taped to it feeding the dipole? Won't this have a similar effect to the polar response as a metal mast?
Old 4th Apr 2018, 11:24 am   #22
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Yes. If there is no balun, then perhaps an even greater effect.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 8:49 pm   #23
tealandsilver
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
A fibreglass mast is all very well, but what about the coax cable taped to it feeding the dipole? Won't this have a similar effect to the polar response as a metal mast?
Yes Winston, I'd forgotten that when I used a fibreglass mast on 2m I used a balun. I used to experiment a lot with home made aerials (remember the "slim jims"?) and was forever tweaking.
To be fair the mast was up for about ten years before it started to disintegrate and living in a bungalow, wasn't too difficult to replace.

David
Closed Thread