UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2018, 6:01 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default How many radio signals in that box of space?

Have you ever stopped to wonder how many different RF signals there may be at any point in time in an imaginary 1m square 'box' in front of you? When you consider all the VHF, AM, SW, digital TV, digital radio, etc etc, it must be thousands?!! What do you reckon? It's also surprising with all that concentration that anything works! Of course that's the principle of tuned radio, the ability to 'tune in' to a single signal amongst many. It's just fantastic and fascinating in equal proportions.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 6:18 pm   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: How many radio signals in that box of space?

It's fascinating indeed. I wouldn't focus too tightly on the 1m box though. Unless it's a metal box none of the signals will be confined to it (and if it is a metal box then how did they get in ?). In reality they'll all be passing through it at the speed of light.

Looking at it from a slightly different point of view, I don't know where the RF-borne 'information density' would be highest -on a rush-hour railway platform with all those mobile phone signals perhaps ? Or an airport, likewise ?

I've just noticed the sub-forum title - maybe this isn't a vintage technology issue ?

Cheers,

GJ
Old 31st Mar 2018, 6:36 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
I've just noticed the sub-forum title - maybe this isn't a vintage technology issue
Well, Marconi demonstrated AM transmissions in the early part of the last century, and that same system is still being used now. That's about as vintage as you can get in radio terms?
Old 31st Mar 2018, 6:45 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

It's something that's been slightly doing my head in since I was a small boy- the thought that you could take a battery radio (for the sake of "not cheating"!) into a field (at home, or the Sahara or the Antarctic....) and tune into intelligence from all over the world just out of the surrounding air. All of it crowded into that space, but separable. It's all proven and accepted science, of course, but it still seems close to magic.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 6:49 pm   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Yes. The short answer, in some senses, to the OP's question is "All of them". Of course most will be very, very weak and very possibly swamped by the stronger ones or by noise.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 31st Mar 2018, 11:17 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Have you ever stopped to wonder how many different RF signals there may be at any point in time in an imaginary 1m square 'box' in front of you? When you consider all the VHF, AM, SW, digital TV, digital radio, etc etc, it must be thousands?!! What do you reckon? It's also surprising with all that concentration that anything works! Of course that's the principle of tuned radio, the ability to 'tune in' to a single signal amongst many. It's just fantastic and fascinating in equal proportions.
Yes I do, plus all the weird particles/waves coming at us from space that the boffins keep discovering, not to mention the host of stuff yet to be discovered
Old 1st Apr 2018, 7:17 am   #7
stitch1
Heptode

I’ve worked around high power LF, HF etc and often wondered what effect all the man made RF that seems to saturate the air is on us, I accept probably nothing.

I did have the idea that when I win the lottery I’ll sleep in a Faraday cage a bit like Micheal Jackson and his oxygen tent

John
Old 1st Apr 2018, 7:41 am   #8
stuarth
Heptode

Weren't there were some people (in America, probably) who claimed to be able to communicate with each other directly over long distances, but that their ability was blocked when broadcast radio started?

Hard to prove in the current crowded RF environment.

Stuart
Old 1st Apr 2018, 7:44 am   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Is there any evidence to suggest that being bathed in such concentrations of RF have a harmful effect on us? Personally, if there is, then I'd think it is more a question of their transmitting power than their sheer quantity. I remember past debates and arguments even over the effects of living next to power lines, also mobile phones. It is said that DECT phones are the worst because 99% of them permanently transmit at their full output power rather than vary or moderate it wrt distance from the base unit.
Old 1st Apr 2018, 9:34 am   #10
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Is there any evidence to suggest that being bathed in such concentrations of RF have a harmful effect on us? ...
Nothing that's convincingly worrying, I believe. In the quantum-mechanical world of chemistry RF photons, which are very, very weedy, really aren't able to make anything happen. If you expose people to sufficiently intense microwaves then you can damage them, but those have to be high frequency and high power.

Sunlight, however, does some very bad things indeed. If you want something to worry about then it's very much more dangerous than the RF background. Of course it does some good things too.

Then there's the background ionising radiation (e.g. cosmic rays and naturally radioactive materials in the environment). If this bothers you then worry about plasterboard and smoke alarms and living in Cornwall (but don't worry much, to be honest). It's a little known fact that a fraction of our background dose comes from radioactive materials incorporated naturally in our own bones. That can be increased significantly if we spend 8 hours every day lying close to another person, since we then pick up radiation from them too.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 1st Apr 2018, 9:42 am   #11
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

To say that sunlight 'does some good things' is a splendid understatement!

Without it the earth would just be a lifeless lump of rock............

Andy
Old 1st Apr 2018, 9:48 am   #12
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Yes. On balance I think we should stick with sunlight . We just need to remember to smear 'factor plenty' on children if they're going to be out in it a lot.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 1st Apr 2018, 4:56 pm   #13

I wonder how the benefit of using an RF device next to your ear outside shielding it from sunlight weighs up to the affect of the RF?

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 12:13 am   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

It probably won't shield the top edge of your ear which is the bit that normally gets fried!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:34 am   #15
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
It is said that DECT phones are the worst because 99% of them permanently transmit at their full output power rather than vary or moderate it wrt distance from the base unit.
A DECT phone only needs to work within a house or nearby so the power will presumably be much lower than a mobile phone which maybe needs to transmit over several kilometres. Also you usually won't carry it around with you, so most of the time you'll be far enough away from it that the signal strength is negligible.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:52 am   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

I was thinking more about when it's pressed against your temple, actually in use. That's generally the area of concern, the effect on the brain, brain tumours. Here: https://www.electricsense.com/815/co...n-cell-phones/
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 10:09 am   #17
Hartley118
Nonode

It's quite remarkable that the advent of radio transmission in the 1920s didn't trigger all sorts of health worries about the effect of radio waves on the human body.

When we reflect on that cubic metre of space that was pretty empty of the radio part of the electromagnetic spectrum before 1920, we're fortunate that the only known effect of radio waves is to warm us up a little. Radiation of various flavours was widely believed to be beneficial, from UV through to radioactivity, so I don't expect there was any consideration given to potential damaging effects of the new fangled radio waves.

Had the invention of radio waited until 1990, one can imagine all sorts of health scares in the media!

Martin
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 11:55 am   #18
mark2collection
Hexode

Quote:
So true, I've also pondered the idea of radio waves escaping to outter space, the idea of a craft which could travel fast/far enough to listen again to Churchill et al 'live' ...

I have the set, it's in fine fettle, just need the craft & some fuel, won't be back in time for tea!

A daft notion perhaps, but then ... who's to say ...

Mark
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 12:18 pm   #19
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2collection View Post
A daft notion perhaps, but then ... who's to say ...
Einstein.
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 12:19 pm   #20
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

The craft would have to travel faster than light. Might be easier to just invent a time machine and stay on the ground.
Closed Thread