UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2019, 9:20 am   #1
adamw1987
Retired Dormant Member

Default Blaupunkt CR43 Pre-out

Hi,

I have a 1992 Blaupunkt Melbourne CR43 I would like to connect to an external two-channel amplifier using the pre-out. The pre-out uses an 8 pin DIN connector but I don’t have a clue which pin does what. Does anybody have a pin-out diagram or any knowledge at all about them? I can’t find anything on the internet.

Thanks.
Old 27th May 2019, 10:25 am   #2
Goldie99
Heptode

Default Re: Blaupunkt CR43 Pre-out

I think this is the adapter you probably need - the image is from an old Blaupunkt installation guide (2004).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blau 8-DIN Pre-Amp Out.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	183941  
Old 27th May 2019, 10:49 am   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

You can find a ground connection using a digital multimeter to test for continuity to chassis with the set off; and then probe the other pins for any DC voltages with the set on. Any pins with no DC on them can be searched for signals using an amplifier input, if no oscilloscope is available. Turn the balance control both ways to find out which is left and which is right. If there are four outputs, you will need to use the front/rear control as well.

If it's the type of 8-pin DIN socket that can accept a 5-pin plug, then the greatest probability is the top middle pin (2) is ground, one of the immediately adjacent ones (4 or 5) is the right-hand signal and the next from that (1 or 3) is the left-hand signal, since this is how the semi-standard 5-pin DIN connector was wired (though manufacturers still sometimes disagreed over whether the outputs were supposed to be on 1 and 4 or 3 and 5 .....) If the set has 4 outputs, then probably all the "main five" will be used, with pins 6, 7 and 8 used for switching signals or auxiliary power.
Old 27th May 2019, 10:55 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As an ex-I.C.E. service engineer, I can confirm that the adapter shown in Goldie 99's post is basically what is needed, although a 2-channel version may be available-it's been almost 24 years since I worked for a Blaupunkt Dealer so I'm not au fait with the current range of connectors and adapters. The 8-pin DIN Plug & socket contains LH & RH Audio channels using pins 1,4, 3,5, & 2, a switched +12v line on pin 8 (center pin) and + & - 12v on pins 6 & 7. 7 607 855 091 is the Blaupunkt Part No. for the lead shown, but whether that lead is still available 15 years on I do not know! N.B. Julie is correct about the top part of that 8-pin plug being indentical with the common 5-pin DIN Plugs & Sockets, though the cables used for car audioincluded an outer screen not always found in domestic audio leads. Additionally if a 5-pin DIN plug was used, the switching line for the added amplifier would need to be taken from the 'Automatic Aerial ' terminal on the CR43-all BP Stereos were fitted with this connection. The supply and earth connections on the added amp. can be connected directly-via a suitable fuse- directly to suitable points in the vehicle.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 27th May 2019 at 11:01 am.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:12 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

If that's the case, then something like this adaptor (eBay link; I think this is O.K. as it's an answer to a question so I'm not pushing advertising, and I am not the vendor so I'm not shamelessly self-promoting) should do the job.
Old 27th May 2019, 1:08 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

A Cable of that type will certainly allow the CR43 to be connected to an amplifier with Phono (RCA, Cinch) i/p sockets, Julie, but whether interference pickup would be a problem, I'm not sure. As I noted in post #4, the cables designed for in-car use such as the Blaupunkt one in post #2, incorporated an outer screen in addition to using screened internal leads for the signal lines. The outer screen was connected to the metal shell of the DIN plug, and thus to the chassis of the radio or stereo with which it was used. It's purpose was to minimise the risk of interference from the vehicle's electrics.
Old 27th May 2019, 2:46 pm   #7
adamw1987
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for all the information, everybody, that’s a great help. I was anticipating having to split the 12v trigger on the head unit between the electric aerial and the additional amplifier, and I’ll give the 5-pin adaptor a go. It’s hardly the world's highest fidelity system so maybe interference won’t be a huge issue.
Old 20th Jun 2019, 11:56 am   #8
alexbaker89
Diode

Can I also ask a related question?

I have a blaupunkt Memphis with the same DIN output for an EQ or amp too. All of their equipment from this era annoyingly had only one output, but I have two Blaupunkt amps to connect.

I'm pretty sure the DIN is 7 and not 8 pin, but need to get it right as I wanted to make a splitter box. Can someone confirm these connections:

1- left front
2- signal ground
3- left rear
4- right front
5- right rear
6- ground
7- 12V switched

I lifted this from a schematic of a Blaupunkt BEQ 80 I have my eye on buying, but want to sense check this as I'm assuming Blaupunkts of this era all used 1 proprietary configuration...?
Old 20th Jun 2019, 10:13 pm   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Alex, you're basically correct. That pin-out is essentially the same as that of the 8-pin plug & socket. However, IIRC there are (were) two different versions of the 7-pin, and possibly of the 8-pin DIN connectors. One version had the pins in a circular shape, whilst in the other the pin layout was in a 'horseshoe' shape. The connections of pins 1 to 5 are basically identical with those of a 5-pin 180 degree plug or socket, which is probably irrelevant in your case, but both the Memphis and the BEQ80 are four channel devices, which will obviously drive a four channel amplifier. Is it that you have two 2-channel amplifiers to use with your system, in which case a lead which separates the front and rear channel o/ps of the Memphis into 2 x 2 channels will be needed. I may be old-fashioned, but can't see why anyone would want to use two 4-channel amplifiers!
Old 21st Jun 2019, 2:47 pm   #10
alexbaker89
Diode

Thanks 'LIVEWIRE?'.

I'm hoping the type of plug style is the same on the SQR 88 as it is on the BEQ 80, or potentially a BEQ F/R to make life easier when sourcing cables if I end up building a splitter.

The reason I'm using 2x two channel amps is because the rear speakers (MD 1690's) are larger and require more power than the speakers I'll be using in the front. A 4 channel Blaupunkt amp of that era usually supplies 4x 25W max - good enough for the front but not enough juice for the rear.

So, I'm going to use a BSA 40 MS for the front, and something like a BSA 107 for the rear.
Closed Thread