UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2019, 7:08 am   #1
osx86apple
Pentode

Default Grundig 5019 German radio

Hello all, I have just purchased a very nice Grundig 5019 but having 220v I put I’m a little worried using our 240v supply which I know can vary anyway! Any advice on stepping down the voltage slightly ?

Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 8:25 am   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig 5019 German radio

Hello, not sure what your skill level is with vintage electronics as that would determine the best advice for you? If you are competent in soldering and working on high voltage equipment then first off, if this set has not yet been plugged in, then you would be well advised to do the checks set out in Paul Stenning's recommendations here https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...and-tests.html. If you are not competent to do this sort of work then I recommend you post a request for assistance. There might be a Forum member local to you. Having completed the initial tests then with the set plugged into 240v mains it would be appropriate to measure the heater voltages to the valves. If it measures no more than about 6.5v AC then use the set as-is. If the heater voltage is greater than that then inserting a 100R 10W resistor in series with the mains line-in would be the simplest fix. The resistor will get warm so would need to be situated safely. Hope that helps, cheers, Jerry.
Old 23rd May 2019, 9:38 am   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

The UK standardised mains voltage is now supposed to be 230v, and I believe it is due sometime to be reduced to 220v inline with the EU countries.
Personally I would not worry about it, but you are, you could test the heater voltage as mentioned above just to be sure.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 23rd May 2019 at 9:45 am.
Old 23rd May 2019, 11:06 am   #4
Station X

216.2 - 253 VAC.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/4/made
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/5/made

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd May 2019, 3:46 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

If the set has already been used on UK mains, the valves might have "got used to" any over-running of the heaters, and exhibit low emission at the "correct" voltage.
Old 23rd May 2019, 5:58 pm   #6
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
You could use a 240V to 20V isolating transformer with the 20V winding in series but antiphase with the mains to buck the mains voltage down to 220V. (see diagram from the internet below)
The current rating of the 20V winding should be greater than the maximum current taken by the set (I would advise at least one and a half to two times the current)
You must connect the 20V winding the right way round as the wrong way will boost the voltage to 260V!. Should you wish to try this check the output voltage before connecting to the set and if it is higher than the mains voltage reverse one of the windings to the transformer and check again.
Yours, Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!!!!!!buckx-f3.gif
Views:	74
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	183707  
Old 23rd May 2019, 8:23 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

What is your local mains voltage. They're all still at their old levels, none have actually been changed in practice, but you may be at the lower end of what was allowable.
Closed Thread