UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2013, 7:16 pm   #1
sobell1980
Octode

Default Help transmitting a digital on off signal over a distance of 600 to 800 metres

Hi all,

Looking for help building a circuit or buying a transmitter / receiver to send a digital "on" and "off" signal about 600 to 800 metres across a housing estate. I am constructing an automatic chicken house door that opens and closes with a light sensor using programmable arduino boards. I want to transmit a very short length signal, to say when the door is open and when the door is closed from my allotment to my house. I am able to program the arduino boards to operate the door but just need some sort of set up to transmit the open or closed signal that is sent from the arduino board to the transmitter. Would be most grateful for any help or input. I live at a very elevated position from my allotment. The signal would need to be sent across the housing estate to my elevated position. Many thanks as always,

Dave.
Old 27th Aug 2013, 7:33 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Help transmitting a didital on off signal over a distance of 600 to 800 metres

Dave,

Your best bet would be to go and use one of the license free PMR type radios - cannibalise a pair bringing out the PTT button to a set of contacts - this will easily, and legally work over the range you need.
Old 27th Aug 2013, 7:47 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Default Re: Help transmitting a didital on off signal over a distance of 600 to 800 metres

Assuming you have power at each end, the most pragmatic solution is to use a wifi bridge, with directional aerials at each end. You could recycle an old laptop at the remote end. Once the link was established you could use it to transmit much more than a door open / door closed flag - temperature, for example. You could use it to control heating and lighting remotely, or run monitoring cameras.

You can build effective directional wifi aerials for next to nothing - google 'cantenna'.
Old 27th Aug 2013, 7:56 pm   #4
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Help transmitting a digital on off signal over a distance of 600 to 800 metres

Another option is to use type-approved short-range telemetry units (on 418MHz?). These appear in PCB form in many electronics catalogues. Bear in mind that any licence-free system is likely to suffer interference so you will need a protocol to cope with this.
Old 27th Aug 2013, 8:10 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Help transmitting a digital on off signal over a distance of 600 to 800 metres

Have you thought of using an old mobile phone ?? Shove in a "pay-as-you-go" SIM from someone like GiffGaff with a fiver's worth of credit. Program one of the phone buttons/memories with your home phone-number. Get the arduino to pull in a solenoid at the appointed time to trigger it for long enough to give, say, five rings then hang up.

On *your* mobile, set up the chicken-coop-phone's number with a specific ringtone. When it goes off you don't answer.

Because the call doesn't connect you don't use up any credit on the PAYG SIM.

Your "missed calls" log will also hold a record of the dates/times the chickens called home.
Old 27th Aug 2013, 8:31 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Get the arduino to pull in a solenoid at the appointed time to trigger it
Or, cannibalise an old mobile, wiring a relay or solid state switch to one of the number contacts. Old mobiles are generally available for the asking if you mention you want one to friends and family. Lots of operators offer non-expiring PAYG SIMs including Asda and Virgin, both of which I use.

A rather more sophisticated approach would be to link a mobile to a laptop using USB or Bluetooth. If you enjoy hardware hacking you could replace the laptop with a Raspberry Pi.
Old 27th Aug 2013, 8:55 pm   #7
sobell1980
Octode

Many thanks for all your input on my project. I will have a play with the arduino and mobile phones and get back to you with our progress. Thanks again your all a wealth of knowledge.

Dave.
Old 28th Aug 2013, 2:07 pm   #8
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

An alternative is a wireless doorbell. There is a BN wireless doorbell on ebay for £15, this has two push buttons for front and back door, presumably the received signal is different for each. The disadvantage is that the range is only 75m. This could perhaps be extended with a Yagi aerial at each end. I do not know what frequency they use.
Old 28th Aug 2013, 2:57 pm   #9
fetteler
Octode

Yes, I was thinking wireless doorbel too, I guess they're 433 mHz. I expect the internal aerials are little things and it might not even be neccesary to use a Yagi, a 1/4 wavelength of wire ought to improve things quite a lot.

Anyone here with a spectrum analyser and a wireless doorbel who'd like to comment??

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 28th Aug 2013, 3:18 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Don't forget a lot of locals will have wireless doorbells too...
Old 28th Aug 2013, 3:48 pm   #11
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobell1980 View Post
I am constructing an automatic chicken house door that opens and closes with a light sensor
Do you have any method for counting your chickens out and in, otherwise the door might close locking a chicken out for the night, which presumably is not what is intended?

You could use a IP CCTV camera over 5GHz, most decent cameras have alarm/switch input/outputs so you can wire the door mechanism to a switch, and a PIR detector to an alarm.
Old 28th Aug 2013, 5:41 pm   #12

I dare say a group A TV antenna would give a bit of gain at 433MHz, use one at each end and 800m would be easy.

Old 28th Aug 2013, 6:30 pm   #13
paulsherwin

Adding a high gain aerial to a wireless doorbell is probably illegal though. There are likely to be many problems, ranging from neighbours' doorbells ringing randomly to out of band interference caused by the very basic transmitters in these things. You won't make any friends if you knock out everybody's Freeview reception whenever the chicken shed door closes. You might even interfere with the police Tetris system, which would certainly result in a visit.
Old 28th Aug 2013, 7:30 pm   #14
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
...You might even interfere with the police Tetris system...
did you mean TETRA? But I do love the idea of a police Tetris system...

Chris
Old 28th Aug 2013, 7:36 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

433MHz is in an amateur band and you may find that the very basic receivers of doorbells and suchlike will overload easily with any large signal within a few tens of MHz. Expect to find people running 10 to 400W into gainy antennae in this band, which certainly trumps the 100uW or less into a lossy antenna. There isn't really a lot of activity, but when there is, people can easily do 30 minute 'overs'

Amusingly, some 433MHz cordless burglar alarms were programmed to assume that any signal detected that lasts more than 30 seconds was an attempt at jamming, and so the alarms would go off.

The wifi extender sounds a bit better, but how long is a laptop going to last left unsupervised in an allotment shed?

David
Old 28th Aug 2013, 10:28 pm   #16
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
did you mean TETRA? But I do love the idea of a police Tetris system...
Indeed
Old 28th Aug 2013, 10:44 pm   #17
pichacker
Hexode

Reading this thread I like the idea of using the licence free PMR446 units as they are available in many places and realistically are not that heavily used. Coupled together with CTCSS tones you have a sort of secure link.

However for my house alarm I used one of the GSM mobile phone modules. (Made by RF Devices). This takes a normal SIM card (PAYG) and is communicated to by simple +AT commands at 9600 baud. This should be a walk in the park for the Arduino. I used a PIC on mine.

Obvious advantage is that the range is virtually only limited by your mobile phones signal. Text messages could be sent but of course you'd have to choose a tariff carefully which has inclusive texts. Opens up the possibility of 2 way comms as well.
Old 29th Aug 2013, 1:51 pm   #18
llama
Octode

Is it line-of-sight?

A beam of light - maybe a laser?
Graham
Old 25th Sep 2013, 8:02 pm   #19
FrankB
Heptode

As a wild thought, if your coop and the house are on the same mains feed, you might get by using a "carrier current" transmitter and receiver.

Some of the hams used them here in the states during WW2, and the power companies here also utilize them for data and "remote reading" the new digital power meters.
I have seen several articles on carrier current on the 'net and in old Ham Radio publications of the WW2 era
Old 25th Sep 2013, 8:16 pm   #20

Not to be confused with 'PLT' ethernet over the mains, all that does is wipe out the shortwave and above. Carrier current uses less than 100kHz (or so).

Closed Thread