UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2016, 11:06 am   #1
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Default Anyone recognise this homebrew 'scope?

Does anyone recognise this oscilloscope, (assuming it was built to a published design) that I bought from the Merley Hamfest for £1 back in August?. It is single channel using a DG7-32 CRT, and has an HF HT inverter, built on what looks like a line output transformer core.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161118_093030.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	132949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161118_093041.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	132950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161118_093057.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	132951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161118_093117.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	132952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161118_093137.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	132953  

Old 18th Nov 2016, 11:18 am   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone recognise this homebrew 'scope?

Interesting item. I'd love to reverse engineer that.

What transistors does it have in it (I can't see from the photos)? They're usually easy enough to text search for in any articles. Could be a custom design looking at the breadboarding.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 11:34 am   #3
Rubberfingers
Pentode

The inverter uses an oc35 and an oc29, I suspect that the oc29 is a substitute,and that the design oiginally used 2 oc35's. The TO39 transistors in the signals side are BSW68's which are 150v devices and probably drive the deflection plates. Not all of the transistors a retain their markings due to corrosion. I suspect I will end up reverse engineering it, although I only originally bought it for the crt!.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 11:43 am   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

Royer converter from DC. Certainly doesn't look like mains in.

Had a quick scan through all my articles on homebrew scopes and I can't find any reference to these in any design. BSW68's might be subsitutes as well; fT is a bit low at 30MHz for this task.

If you do reverse engineer it, or bring it to life I'm interested to see any results.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 12:40 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

The choice of tube and inverter eht make me think of practical electronics and 1970-ish

David
Old 19th Nov 2016, 2:15 pm   #6
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
If you do reverse engineer it, or bring it to life I'm interested to see any results.
Well I powered it up, guesstimating 12vdc input, as there is a diode in series with one of the input leads and a 25v electrolytic to ground after this. It runs, the Y gain falls off as I wind the input signal up over 50Khz, so it was probably intended for audio. The Royer converter supplies all of the supplies, including the CRT heater, and makes a painful 1-2KHz whistle. The triggering is very poor to non existant.! One electrolytic in particular looks to have popped its seal, which might explain the slight ripple on the display. The flyback is visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161119_130500.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	132987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161119_130515.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	132988  

Last edited by Rubberfingers; 19th Nov 2016 at 2:40 pm.
Old 19th Nov 2016, 2:56 pm   #7
Cobaltblue

Its possible that it's based on the Transistorised oscilloscope from Practical Wireless Feb 1972 March 1972.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...PW-1972-02.pdf

there are several similarities.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 19th Nov 2016, 2:58 pm   #8

Quite an amazing performance considering the low number of parts, as good as a bought one in the 30's. I love it! Someone spent ages making it, well worth a scrub up and keeping. A bit of Letraset or Dymo tape marking the knobs would be 'period' and make it more useable. Dymo, proper home build of the 60's, Letraset for your posh builder.

Old 19th Nov 2016, 5:48 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

Indeed. I wouldn't eviscerate it for parts. Nursing it back to life and cleaning it up would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberfingers View Post
Well I powered it up, guesstimating 12vdc input, as there is a diode in series with one of the input leads and a 25v electrolytic to ground after this. It runs, the Y gain falls off as I wind the input signal up over 50Khz, so it was probably intended for audio. The Royer converter supplies all of the supplies, including the CRT heater, and makes a painful 1-2KHz whistle. The triggering is very poor to non existant.! One electrolytic in particular looks to have popped its seal, which might explain the slight ripple on the display. The flyback is visible.
Excellent! Great news considering the state of it!
Old 19th Nov 2016, 6:19 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Its possible that it's based on the Transistorised oscilloscope from Practical Wireless Feb 1972 March 1972.
I think you nailed it. That's a homebrew scope design I haven't got archived yet. Thanks for the pointer as well.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:31 pm   #11
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Thanks for the responses, its not quite the same as the Practical Wireless 1972 design, as this uses a multivibrator to generate the HT, whereas "my" oscilloscope uses a Royer oscillator which generates multiple supply lines including the CRT heater. Thinking about it, the power supply in my oscilloscope is possibly a bit too complex for a magazine constructional article, unless the transformer could have been bought, as it has multiple windings. Having now seen a trace on it I will retain it intact, and when I get around to it, have a look at the signals side and see whether I can sort the triggering out.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:59 pm   #12
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I do like the spirit of that design - no specially-selected or unusual components required.
Closed Thread