UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2016, 4:04 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default AC Output Power Supply

This may be a silly question (I sense it is), but bear with me.

If I wish to construct a power supply that simply gives out 18V AC, do I need any other component other than a suitable mains transformer?

I've seen many designs for DC power supplies, switch mode, transformer based with full wave rectifiers, chokes etc. But haven't seen one for AC, probably because it would just have a transformer ?

I need an 18V AC source and thought it best to ask before I lash something up with just a transformer
Old 11th Oct 2016, 4:23 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: AC Output Power Supply

I think you are right. Just a transformer of the appropriate rating and a fuse for protection. Possibly an indicator to show that it's on, and an on off switch if required.
Alan.
Old 11th Oct 2016, 4:30 pm   #3
PsychMan
Octode

Ah yes thanks Alan, a neon across the mains would be a nice touch, and a small fuse holder with a glass fuse, thanks
Old 11th Oct 2016, 4:42 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Or you could really go over the top and add a voltmeter (the supply will droop with load) and an ammeter.
Possibly even a low resistance var resistor to fine tune the output current

Ed
Old 11th Oct 2016, 4:59 pm   #5
Panrock
Nonode

This is the sort of requirement familiar for those who want to say, power the SSTran AMT3000 pantry transmitter.

When specifying a transformer, be aware of how dramatically the output voltage can vary between maximum rated load and open-circuit. I believe a change of 25% is typical for small transformers (though Ed will be more knowledgeable here).

For my AMT3000, I ended up by using a 15v AC transformer in an empty wall-wart case. I couldn't easily buy the correct wall-wart. The full 18v was unnecessary and would just make the regulator chip run hotter.

Steve
Old 11th Oct 2016, 6:43 pm   #6
PsychMan
Octode

It is indeed for an AMT3000.

SSTran currently advise the following, but I believe their US kit ships with an 18V AC adaptor so I was trying to match that:

"15 - 20 VAC. DC output voltage should be rated between 20 - 24 VDC"
Old 11th Oct 2016, 8:35 pm   #7

The SSTRANs have a good (should be copied) power input system, a bridge rectifier, a smoothing cap and a 15V regulator. So anything above (not too far above) 18V DC or peak AC will work. I have just measured the input to mine, 20V DC and the regulator is hardly warm. The whole thing is a good design, no penny pinching and no extravagance, it just works very well indeed. I knocked mine up in my lunch hour, worked first time and was a joy to build.

Old 11th Oct 2016, 8:43 pm   #8
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

A "glass fuse" might be OK in the secondary circuit, but in the primary circuit you might want something which won't arc.
Old 11th Oct 2016, 9:03 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, a transformer with the windings side by side on the core will generally have a poorer regulation (voltage droop with load) than one that has the 2 windings on top of each other. This latter transformer does require more internal insulation to meet safety standards. The side by side unit has a built in safety barrier and is cheaper to produce. It is very often used in wall warts.

Ed
Old 29th Oct 2016, 3:30 am   #10
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Thank you Ed for that little tidbit of information about the side by side construction having poorer regulation than the more conventional construction.
This forum never disappoints me as every time I come here I learn something.
Thank you again Ed.

Cheers,
Robert.
Old 29th Oct 2016, 5:20 pm   #11
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Folks, a transformer with the windings side by side on the core will generally have a poorer regulation (voltage droop with load) than one that has the 2 windings on top of each other. This latter transformer does require more internal insulation to meet safety standards. The side by side unit has a built in safety barrier and is cheaper to produce. It is very often used in wall warts.
And in some commercial transformers marketed for the enthusiast DIY scene.
You've seen the ones I am thinking of Ed.

Andy.
Closed Thread