UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2016, 11:46 am   #1
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Turntable work jig

Some years ago, about 50, we had a jig in the workshop for use with turntables that allowed you to see it working on the bench and make adjustments.
I have tried to show in the sketch but will describe what the parts are.
The black posts are about 12 inches tall, the blue cross pieces are flat metal bars that were loosely riveted to the bars and also at the centre crossover point to make the sides expandable for different turntables. The brown parts were fixed to the posts and consisted of a solid bar that slid within a hollow tube to fit the required width and the purple blobs were grub screws that fixed the position of the sliding front and rear tubes. It gave adjustment for use with any turntable and placed over a mirror it was easy to see the operation. It was a commercially made product but I can't remember the makers name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT-Jig.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	131533  
Old 19th Oct 2016, 2:49 pm   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Turntable work jig

That's genius! I've been using a foot stool made by my dad when he was 11 years old as a turntable stand but of course it's non-adjustable. Great for BSR and Garrard (which is lucky, they're what I do most) but it wouldn't be any good for a Goldring GL-75, for instance.

That would be easy to build at home. The dark nights are drawing in...

Regards,
Paul
Old 19th Oct 2016, 7:35 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I understand the principle, and it's a great idea, but if the blue crosspieces are riveted at each end and the centre they won't allow adjustment of the uprights. Only mentioned in case someone sets about making one!
Old 19th Oct 2016, 7:49 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Think you are right. Memory not too good after 50 years. I stopped doing autoclangers by about 1964 and jigs were not required with single players in Hi-Fi gear.
Old 19th Oct 2016, 11:01 pm   #5
unitaudio
Heptode

I thought that too. The blue crosspieces would need a pin in the top end locating in a slot in the upright. Easily done.

Regards,
Paul
Old 20th Oct 2016, 8:37 am   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

Been thinking during the night and there were some slots in the flat cross pieces clamped with wing nuts. Not sure whether they were where it crosses or on one of the posts and the post had pins that the cross pieces slid in. Funny how the memory plays tricks after 50 years. What I do remember is that it made life easier to see what was happening and made adjustment simpler with the all round access.
Closed Thread