UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2018, 5:48 pm   #1
Growlerman
Hexode

Default Advice sought for Stereo record player

To cut a long story short my wife has created a vintage room using furniture from the 1970's so I'm now after what Fidelity used to call unit audio stereo record player. I have bad memories of the UA4/6/10 so Fidelity is out. On a quick search I found record players from Ferguson, ITT, Decca and Philips GF832 series. Are there any teak/wood effect cased unit audio record players that were a bit better than the average? I'm NOT after hifi or a large music centre as this wouldn't be in keeping.

hope this makes sense
Old 30th Aug 2018, 5:57 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Advice sought for Stereo record player

Yes, there's a lovely Hacker teak cased, high quality, audio unit going for a song now online. And also Dynatron, where there's another teak cased one right now on auction.
Old 30th Aug 2018, 5:59 pm   #3
Studio263
Octode

The B&O Beogram 1500 was probably the best one of this type:

https://beocentral.com/beogram1500recordplayer

There are loads about so don't pay too much.
Old 30th Aug 2018, 6:00 pm   #4
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Maybe not exactly what you mean but I have a Hacker Centurion with a pair of Linton 2 speakers, all teak veneered and now gwo. Sounds good, I would say better than average for this type of unit, not top hi-fi though. I think it dates from early 70s.

Ken
Old 30th Aug 2018, 6:11 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Decca produced a very nice middle of the road unit. It may have been called a 'Compact Three'. John.
Old 30th Aug 2018, 6:14 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

You can also stay in the early 70's era with a Pioneer PL12D, a Trio amp (KA3700?) and a pair of Wharfedale Lintons. These were big selling items in the period and ought to sound a bit better than any period music centre. Or for an all in one, the Sony HP511 isn't too bad. A few people on here have them.

David
Old 30th Aug 2018, 6:59 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Shame you didn't reserve a spot for a 1970s teak-finish radiogram as apparently you can barely give these away nowadays. They were the quintessential 70s audio / furniture combo. Speakers built in, so you don't need to find a home for separate speakers.
Old 30th Aug 2018, 7:01 pm   #8
Growlerman
Hexode

Thank you for the suggestions. A separates system is unfortunately out due to space available. The Decca and B&O sounds like the sort of thing. Funnily enough I have acquired a pair of Decca wooden(Teak?)speakers that fit in well with the furniture in the room.
How good were ITT audio? I have seen a 1040 record player and the wife approves;
Old 30th Aug 2018, 8:06 pm   #9
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
You can also stay in the early 70's era with a Pioneer PL12D ...
They were a perfectly decent deck, and people have woken up to that, so they no longer sell for their scrap metal value I'm afraid.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 30th Aug 2018, 8:13 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Shame you didn't reserve a spot for a 1970s teak-finish radiogram as apparently you can barely give these away nowadays.
Five years ago you would have been quite right, but I think you might be quite amazed at the prices these are being listed at these days on the auction sites...
Old 30th Aug 2018, 8:21 pm   #11
paulsherwin

The big Japanese makers made some very decent unit audio systems in the 70s.

Sony made some nice compact separates: http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s.../TASTSS70.html
Old 30th Aug 2018, 8:29 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growlerman View Post
I have seen a 1040 record player and the wife approves
I suspect Mike would too!
Old 30th Aug 2018, 10:24 pm   #13
jamesperrett
Octode

Maybe think about something from Dynatron? I've had a few units of theirs from that era and they sound good. I still have an HFC101 with the Lenco GL75 record deck but the smaller Mazurka (with an SP25 deck) would fit the bill if compact size is important.
Old 31st Aug 2018, 3:16 am   #14
Growlerman
Hexode

Thank you all for your suggestions. The Dynatron mazurka, Beogram 1500 and Decca sound (no pun intended) to be the sort of thing I’m looking for. Space is the issue and the unit must have wife appeal!
Old 31st Aug 2018, 6:59 am   #15
Radio Wrangler

A word of caution about Bang and Olufsen record players...

On many of them the stylus is not replaceable, the entire cartridge got replaced instead. Cartridges haven't been made for a long time and demand has pushed the prices up dramatically. There are some companies rebuilding cartridges with new diamond tips. When I last checked, the price of re-tipping the cartridge for my B&O 4000 turntable was over £400

B&O record turntables are very good, sound good, and some of them are works of art*, but before buying one, check the price of replacing a worn stylus for that specific model.

For playing records, something with a cartridge that mounts with the standard 1/2 inch spaced screws gives you the widest options.

David

* there are B&O 4000s in the collections of both the Louvre in Paris and of the Museum of Modern Art!
Old 31st Aug 2018, 7:37 am   #16
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

B&O cartridges prior to the SP15 fitted to the 4000 turntable have replaceable stylus assemblies, but even these are in sluggish supply. Half inch mounts are probably the way to go.
Old 31st Aug 2018, 8:45 am   #17
Growlerman
Hexode

Ted/ Dave

Thank you for this information, this will have a big bearing on what I purchased as any record player I buy will only be used to play worn copies of records. I have a high quality audio system set up in another room with my decent records.
The record players that first took my interest were the likes of the ITT 1040 and similar styled BRC units in a teak cabinet but I'm open to any suggestions for a compact stereo record playing unit ideally from the 1970s to fit in with the room.
Old 31st Aug 2018, 10:11 am   #18
rontech
Heptode

I use an old minidisc player Sony MDS JE 520 for playing compilations of various record tracks ( some some of old 78's ) through my main hifi system. ) The players are very convenient in use I find. If you wished to hear your good lps through the retro system, a minidisc player could maybe be concealed somewhere in the retro cabinet. The remote for these players seems to work almost anywhere in the room if pointed in the general direction of the unit. I have two players, one my own and a second on permanent "loan" from a friend. They are also available on ebay etc at low cost.
Old 31st Aug 2018, 11:00 am   #19
ben
Dekatron

Of all the wooden self contained stereo record players I like the Nocturne 73 (Wye I think). Real wood! Garrard 2025TC with Sonotone 3509. Also has a DIN in/out should you need it. Sound is very good indeed. It even has a '70s name

I would advise against a Beogram 1500. They sound fantastic when working - I had one - but hideously expensive styli, and by now the motor will be gummy and need a lot of work to revive it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nocturne 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	168423   Click image for larger version

Name:	nocturne1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	168424   Click image for larger version

Name:	nocturne 3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	168425  
Old 31st Aug 2018, 11:00 am   #20
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

As regards your hankering for an ITT 1040, this is really basic, 2 chip, budget player.
All the many and varied suggestions already offered to you so far by Members, will have a far better performance than this. Be aware, there is now a Dynatron "Marzuka" currently on an auction site as well.