UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2012, 7:11 am   #101
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: History Of Philips EL33XX Series Cassette Recorder

Very interesting radiogram and observations, Ben! The way they've fitted in the cassette recorder is ingenious but gives the machine an almost home-made quality.

Nick.
Old 9th Jun 2012, 6:39 am   #102
Ekcoman
Heptode

Interesting that they didn't opt for a stereo deck being the smoked perspex lid would indicate a 3302 built well into the early 1970's.
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 7:36 am   #103
Ekcoman
Heptode

Seems PYE brought out a version which has taken it's appearance from many earlier versions. This being the 9140 which suspect 1973/4 looking at skimpy case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE 9140 001.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	69979  
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 12:37 pm   #104
Maarten
Dekatron

It would be really interesting to have a manufacturing date for this model. Could you maybe have a look inside? Possibly it doesn't need that much disassembling to get to a sticker with the WR or AH number on it.
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 12:58 pm   #105
Ekcoman
Heptode

No date all there is on the inside are these. I think definitely a Philips construction also not sure if clear on photo but made in Austria. Sort of cross between the 3300 & 3302.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PYE 9140 003.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	69984  
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 5:24 pm   #106
Maestro Maker
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
By the lack of information on the label this looks to be a typical "Third Party" version from the Vienna factory for Pye before they were finally admitted to the Philips family! When was that?
Cheers
MM
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 6:14 pm   #107
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcoman View Post
"No date all there is on the inside are these. I think definitely a Philips construction also not sure if clear on photo but made in Austria.
Under the removable tape head adjustment panel (if fitted to this model) there's usually a label stating that's it made by Philips for Pye.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 22nd Aug 2012 at 6:20 pm. Reason: Quote turned into a quote.
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 9:06 pm   #108
Ekcoman
Heptode

No other labels anywhere have explored everwhere without dismantling the thing entirely
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 9:36 am   #109
camtechman
Nonode

Chris,

Were you able to lift off the panel, as shown in the pic provided?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pye TR9109T-00.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	69990  
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 9:55 am   #110
camtechman
Nonode

Excuse poor photo but here's another pic showing the panel removed.

However, on the 9109 model, the "Made By Philips" label wasn't fitted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9109 Access Panel Removed.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	70000  
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 9:57 am   #111
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Maker View Post
By the lack of information on the label this looks to be a typical "Third Party" version from the Vienna factory for Pye before they were finally admitted to the Philips family! When was that?
Third party labels may also have been used for brands that were owned by Philips. It seems however that Pye were fully owned by Philips as of 1976 (according to Wikipedia, Philips owned 60% as of 1966). Any plausible manufacturing date of this recorder might be after 1966 but would be well before 1976.

@Chris Jones: It would be very interesting if you can take a further look for labels.

Last edited by Maarten; 23rd Aug 2012 at 10:07 am.
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 10:14 am   #112
camtechman
Nonode

Indeed, in the latter series of the EL3302, they were placed over the tape head adjusting area.

This wasn't just to indicate it was made by Philips, as the machine was already adorned with Philips logos already but to indicate that someone (a non Philips approved service agent) had adjusted the head, as the metalised label would have to have been pierced to gain access to the aperture, through which the head adjusting screw was reached.

When an approved Philps service agent, such as C.E.S (where I worked) needed to adjust the tape head whilst the chassis was fitted to the case, the label would be removed and, after adjutment, a new one fitted. This label was not listed as a service/spare part to the general public - only to Philips approved agents.

To my mind, adding this label so late in the production series was an after thought that was a waste of time. Had they fitted it from day one, EL3300 onwards, then it would have been justified.
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 5:01 pm   #113
Ekcoman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
@Chris Jones: It would be very interesting if you can take a further look for labels.
Have removed the panel and alas no more labels.
Old 24th Aug 2012, 12:22 am   #114
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm pretty sure there are some on the inside, but I'm not sure whether I should ask you to open it up any further.
Old 24th Aug 2012, 6:54 am   #115
Ekcoman
Heptode

Think it would mean completely dismantling the hardware from the cover and bit reluctant to do as it would take a bit of time and as broke a plastic retaining clip removing the speed cover, as brittle. Bit reluctant to go any further at this stage. No lasting damage as managed to replace tidily with a very small dab of Bostic glue.
Old 24th Aug 2012, 2:00 pm   #116
camtechman
Nonode

Chris,

Let's just recap: It's definately made by Philips and it will be one of the later 3302/15 series, as it has a transparent cassette door.

As for date and where it was made, that's simple. Besides the Model & Serial Number label that you've provided a photo of, there will be another label attached to the motor housing (unless someone's removed it).

From this label, I can decode the country (but not factory) in which it was assembled, together with the Week & Year of final pass testing.

It should only be necessary to remove the battery cover and lift up the battery location sleeve and this other label should be visible (white rectangular) See pics below.

However, it has been known that the label was placed on one of the other faces of the motor housing or, in some cases, fallen off and drifted off inside the chassis.

In the photos I have provided of my Pye 9109:
WR01=Austria & 037= Week 37/1970
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imgp2987.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	70035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgp2985.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	70036  
Old 24th Aug 2012, 4:02 pm   #117
Ekcoman
Heptode

Hi Camtech,
Yes, have that one so here it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PHIL.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	70040  
Old 24th Aug 2012, 4:31 pm   #118
camtechman
Nonode

OK,

WT = Wien, Austria
00 = No Modifications or Amendments
417 = Week 41 1970's probably 1974.

If you ever dismantle it again, the speaker magnet will also have a string of number & codes (Part Ref Number) & a W code too, to show where it was made, it will probably be WR01.

There will also be code numbers on the 2 PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) and this will be seen on the track side. There'll be a code on the smaller Motor Speed Control PCB & the larger Main PCB (they most likely won't be the same)
Old 24th Aug 2012, 6:53 pm   #119
Ekcoman
Heptode

Just received an EL3301A/15 which dates 1965. If I read the numbers correctly WR 02 the 25 65. This preceeds my other EL3301A/14T as 1966 with WR 01 22 66. It a bit like "spot the difference" only changes I have picked up on the 65 model are larger screws to hold on main back plate. Slightly small print to PHILIPS red lettering on chrome speaker cover, thinner red strip in battery indicator and 3 & 4 numbers over volume and mic level adjustment missing. There may be other differences.. It looks as though there are more variations of the 3300 & 3301 machines than ever thought existed. That's even prior to the EL3302 mass variations! Strewth!

Last edited by Ekcoman; 24th Aug 2012 at 6:59 pm.
Old 26th Aug 2012, 11:46 am   #120
camtechman
Nonode

Chris, as you will see from the early part of this thread, I've been gathering info on the EL33XX series for some years now and a few months back I thought I'd cracked all model identification & variants......WRONG!

Everytime I see one, there's another type or difference that's new to me....seems the complete list is still some way off.

I wish I'd kept my service files & notes when I worked on the EL33XX series at C.E.S. but because they were becoming common place and more & more models appeared with such regularity I thought: "Why Bother?".....DOH!....If only I had a time machine then!