UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2008, 1:44 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Hacker Rambler

That's right, I said Hacker Rambler! And I suspect that they used the name long before Roberts got a hold of it.

This is, of course, a record player for battery operation. Made to the same sort of standard as the full-size Cavalier of the period, this little fella came to me from eBay, not working (no surprise, I asked before I bought it), and looking a little grubby in places, but all there and I'd been after one for ages, to play my Rock 'n' Roll 78s on at car shows during the Summer.

So, first things first, and this would be a completely new thing to me, at first I had no idea how the thing was meant to be switched on!
Having lifted the plinth, complete with tiny Garrard single-play deck, that first mystery was solved; there is a switch on the underside of the deck that should switch the power to the amplifier and the motor on when the arm is pulled slightly to the outer edge of the case, off when the runout is reached or the arm is manually swung across to the centre of the platter.

I removed the switch, but before doing so had observed that it was loose on its attachment screw to the deck, so swinging on the arm moved the whole thing rather than switching the blades inside. As I had removed it, I decided to take the switch apart to have a check inside it (no problems in there so it was cleaned, reassembled then attached, securely this time, whence it came....).

That done, I now had a supply to the audio board and to the motor. Both were dead, nothing, not a squeak, nowt!
The audio board is the same type as that found in the RP18 and RP30 radios, component values appeared the same too, and I always have a reconditioned one of those standing by to check any Sovereigns or Heralds that come this way, so a re-capped audio amp, with a nice new pair of output transistors and driver was fitted.
Touching the stylus with a brush then resulted in a healthy crackle from the speaker, so to find out why that motor wouldn't run.....

There was a supply to the motor from the switch, the motor's spindle was free to spin, and the idler wheel and its bearing were in fine fettle too, so I removed the end cap of the motor, assuming that I'd have to replace the caps that formed a part of the governor assembly (DC motor remember, and we don't want it to keep on accelerating until it bursts).
However, as soon as I had removed the brush holder from the end of the motor, a problem became apparent; one brush was stuck fast in its holder and hadn't been making contact with the commutator. Figuring, no, make that hoping that this was the only reason for the lack of motivation in the tiny, beautifully crafted motor, I first of all checked that both of the brush loading springs were intact and that neither had broken. They were fine, as were the brushes; a tiny squirt of Super 10 freed the sticky one and then both were removed and their holes in the end bearing carrier plate blasted with air and a little drop of clock oil on a matchstick applied to the bearing itself, taking care not to get any on the carbon brushes. Bless them, they're only the thickness of a pencil's centre core!

So, motor re-assembled, the beast was fired up again. Speed stability was checked with a 50 year-old record that my Mum had bought in Germany during a visit, in her youth, to the passion plays. This old 45 is ideal as any slight amount of pitch variation is obvious when tested with the songs on this EP.

The cartridge was found to be working, but was a Goldring HC type, so output was a tad high and it didn't sound too great, even with its fresh(ish) stylus, so I borrowed a completely new Goldring Compat C (no 'H' means lower output, in this case under 200mV) from the everyday Hacker Cavalier and fitted that.

Click Here for the result! (With apologies to anyone who finds the music offensive, but it really is revealing of pitch issues in a player).
The sound quality in the flesh is actually surprisingly good, but that short clip was made using the video camera on my phone and I struggled to get it the right distance from the speaker!

Here are a couple of stills of the player after I'd finished the repairs and given its (basically very well-preserved) case a good spring clean:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 017.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	17565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 018.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	17566  
Old 31st May 2008, 3:34 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Hacker Rambler

Well it's a very nice record player and I couldn't hear any speed/pitch problems but as for that music .........

Howard
Old 31st May 2008, 3:48 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Interesting machine!

If it's the GP19, then it dates from Feb. 1966 onwards.

The manual says it delivers 1.2W into an 8"x5" speaker, so it should sound at least as good as the Sovereign radio, but with the advantage of a bigger cabinet.

The wood-effect Rexine makes it look like the rather newer Grenadier (a mians machine from the early 1970s with real veneer).

Nick.
Old 31st May 2008, 5:48 pm   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Well it's a very nice record player and I couldn't hear any speed/pitch problems but as for that music .........

Howard
Yes, well, that's what Mother was listening to in the early to mid '50s! I grew up being subjected to album after album of similar things, among the Jimmy Shand 78s....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Interesting machine!

If it's the GP19, then it dates from Feb. 1966 onwards.

The manual says it delivers 1.2W into an 8"x5" speaker, so it should sound at least as good as the Sovereign radio, but with the advantage of a bigger cabinet.

The wood-effect Rexine makes it look like the rather newer Grenadier (a mians machine from the early 1970s with real veneer).

Nick.
Yes, it's the GP19, the styling combines elements of both the Gondolier and the Grenadier I think, since the outside of the case looks like a miniature Gondolier, but with the Grenadier's wood-effect (Valerie Singleton would love this one...), created, in this case by use of sticky-backed plastic! Top-grade Hacker sticky-backed plastic, but sticky-backed plastic nevertheless!

The audio amp is of identical spec to the radios that shared it, yet the speaker is not the Goodmans one found in the radios, it has a much deeper basket and bigger magnet and for a portable machine that bass doesn't half pack a wallop!
It seems to be using its 3xPP9 batteries quite sparingly so far though, and there is the option of putting bigger batteries in there by reversing a part of the locating arrangement and having the batteries extending further forward, into the cabinet from the rear.

Its forté though is the way that it handles my collection of Rock 'n' Roll and blues 78s, lovely sound and great treble, even on the earlier, shellac ones that can sound quite flat, without too great a level of background mush.

I love the thing.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 8:25 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Exceellent Players. Well done on getting it sorted, and that'll last another 40 years! Is that the one with ECL86's in it?

I've got records like that here. Great when I want people to go away...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 10:06 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Is that the one with ECL86's in it?
No, it's a battery model with a transistorised amp identical to that used in Hacker's portable radios of the time
Old 7th Jun 2008, 9:26 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

You're thinking of the Hacker Mayflower, Steve.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Jun 2008, 9:33 pm   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Cavalier or Gondolier, I'd have said, as the Hacker Mayflower's a radio. Unlike the Roberts Mayflower, which is a battery-operated record player... I'm sure they didn't really set out to confuse us all!

Paul
Old 8th Jun 2008, 12:16 pm   #9
GJR 11L
Heptode

Yes, the Cavalier and others certainly have a pair of ECL86s in PP. Same audio stage as the Mayflower too.
Amazingly, the Rambler isn't overwhelmed by the performance of its larger, mains-operated brethren though, and it's a shame they didn't do a version with the Herald radio chassis sharing the cabinet (as far as I know, but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong about that....), since that same amplifier really does show its true potential when connected to that speaker and that amount of cabinet volume.

The player has now clocked up over twelve hours and the (18 Volt) amp's still nice and loud, though the battery for the (9 Volt) motor is just starting to fall behind its 1800rpm governor, so is slowing a little when in 3rd gear. (33rpm) But those clever folk at Hacker thoughtfully provided enough space in the battery compartment for more PP9s, so I may fit a second battery snap in parallel with the motor supply, just to keep it going during a show; all totally reversible and in-period though.
Old 8th Jun 2008, 2:54 pm   #10
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
But those clever folk at Hacker thoughtfully provided enough space in the battery compartment for more PP9s
I just took a glance in the manual, and alternative battery holders were available to accommodate 18 D cells. The earlier GP11 Rambler instead took the route of using four PP9s as standard, with the motor driven by two in parallel.

I think you're right about there being no radiogram version of the GP19, though the GP11 did have one. I've only ever seen a single example.

Paul
Old 8th Jun 2008, 5:39 pm   #11
GJR 11L
Heptode

Interesting. I shall fit another connector and use an extra PP9 as planned.

So such a beast as a radiogram version exists, albeit in even more lovely, GP11 Rambler form then? Hmm, best I get saving for the next one of those that appears in a vaguely complete condition.

Thank you Paul, information most appreciated.