UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2016, 12:15 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Philips N2220 cassette- what's missing?

This was among a rescued box of radios and cassette recorders heading for the tip. I've not seen this model before although the layout is not dissimilar to the earlier N2205.

Opening it up revealed the expected melted drive belt, but also that the recorder had previously been 'got at'. The picture shows a red and white wire which appear to be the severed loudspeaker connections, plus a black and a white wire lower down heading to the volume control assembly. I can't see anything awry on that, so the inevitable question must be- what's missing? Any ideas folks?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phil1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	133753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phil2.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	133754  
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 5:27 pm   #2
Tom_I
Heptode

Default Re: Philips N2220 cassette- what's missing?

I don't think the black and white wires are original - at least they are not there in the Service Manual,

It's a bit difficult to see, so I can't be sure, but I think they are soldered to either end of the speaker coupling capacitor (C17 in the circuit diagram), white to + and black to -.

Maybe someone was experimenting with different values, and this was an easy way to connect different capacitors? Who knows? Is C17 there on the other side of the board (470 µF, 6.3 v)?
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 6:57 pm   #3
Colourstar
Octode

That's interesting, Tom. Loose in the battery compartment was a tired looking large blue axial electrolytic cap of unknown value

I'll see if C17 is still there.

Steve
Old 4th Dec 2016, 12:49 pm   #4
Colourstar
Octode

C17 has indeed been removed for some reason. It would seem that the replacement cap used was too large, so jumper leads were connected to the pcb and the new cap stuffed into the battery compartment. Odd!

Steve
Closed Thread