UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2015, 5:07 pm   #21

Default Re: Sparks Will Fly BBC Xmas Lectures

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesquip View Post
If only we manufactured more!
Hear hear! I love making things and I have always gone to work in a manufacturing environment (albeit on the design side of late). Short term I may have been 'better off' in another sort of job (and bored), well enough money is (as defined), is enough and having fun at work is more than compensation.

If only a few of the kids at/watching the lectures did something useful it would be a good thing.

I did rather despair a little for the kid, when sticking the lens to the 'phone camera (episode two), put the 'blu tak' in the middle of the lens, Danielle sorted that out without any embarrassment, 10/10.

Engineering is real, the rest... flummery.

Old 2nd Jan 2015, 12:09 pm   #22
SteveCG
Nonode

We watched all three progs and were not really impressed, on several counts which others here have already listed. Put briefly: It did not seem to do what it claimed to in its title.
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 8:34 pm   #23
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh
Clearly we need more Scientists and Technicians nationally.
Do we? If so, why do qualified scientists and engineers fail to get job interviews? If there was a shortage then employers would be falling over themselves to get people, and paying accordingly. On the contrary, there is a shortage of decent science/engineering jobs in the UK.

I won't say more as it will be going too far OT.

There could be a shortage of such people in the future if they are wrongly given the impression in popular lectures that "hacking" technology is easy, then find that in fact it is not and requires years of careful study of complex topics.
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 9:42 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good points Dave [in a way] but the R I lectures are aimed at the younger generation not just those struggling to get a job currently [like many non scientists]. I did hear James Dyson and his son on Radio 4 last week claiming they outsourced their parts abroad because British firms aren't interested in risk. It may be true I suppose.

There's little doubt that the UK has made a bit of a contribution to scientific progress over the years. A number of established commentators have written books suggesting that the new Industrial Revolution which seems to be happening all around us via technology, is on a scale that we can't yet perceive. If, theoretically, we catch the wave and businesses do appear it may be a good idea to have people who can staff them. Even without an economic drive in that direction it would be good to correct the peculiar ignorance and bias against science [and women eg the Beeb] that permeates those who rule us.

I was watching Gerry Wells on a 2002 BBC4 Documentary last night in which he said that, in his day, the TV Repair man was treated with immense respect even in the poshest areas of London. Gerry said he loved this treatment I suspect that was a high point, even by comparison with the achievements of the Victorians. I understand that, in Germany. Engineer has an equivalent status to that which used to apply to a Doctor here! It's all social engineering in the end but hopefully, to the good in this context. I'm not sure myself of the right direction but you need to be in it to bin it I suspect.
Cheers,
Dave W
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 10:05 pm   #25
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I subscribe to Dave G8HQP's final comment. I think though that The RI Christmas Lectures are aimed at showing youngsters that Science and Engineering can be exciting, interesting and worth doing. Also that it is not magic. The main problem is to establish that it can be done without giving the impression that it is easy, because it isn't.

The Head of the Engineering Department at the local university did a study to find why there was a high dropout rate after the first year. He found two main factors that were in some cases interrelated. One was not having the basic maths to handle the subject. He did propose making it a four year course to augment the maths and general science first. The other factor was that for many of them it needed a lot of much harder work than they expected.
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 12:18 am   #26
Radio Wrangler

Having a mentor is a great way to learn things, and being a mentor is very satisfying (It's also a great way to learn things).

Sesquip, there are people on here with expertise in all sorts of fields, and with a demonstrated interest in passing on their knowledge. So you can have not one mentor, but a whole collective noun of them! What's more, most of the time, most of them agree (and on most subjects, too).

So much manufacturing has gone that now the infrastructure which once was associated with it is running down. Universities seem to be packed with foreign students, but with few locals and the subjects on offer have been softened. Computing with business studies seems popular, while the main engineering subjects have vanished from some campuses.

Child protection has become a serious issue at amateur radio clubs with young members, both to keep the youngsters safe and to protect the non-youngsters. So mentoring is something more readily available to the over 18's which means people who have mostly already chosen their career path.

David
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 1:01 am   #27
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I think that's all very well put David, re the higher educational system but I think the lady was referring to opportunities missed at the "primary" stage of education. Striking the right balance there is, admittedly, difficult but not at all impossible! Balanced decisions aren't generally made because it is in the nature of any organisation to be risk aversive. Usually, if there are more than two people involved the risk is minimised! We all got help before reaching "majority" at 18. These days it's more like 25+ or later .
Dave
Closed Thread