UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2014, 12:56 pm   #21
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: OFCOM to release more of Band V UHF spectrum for mobile comms.

hi Dave,
thanks for that info. Probably a lot of people do what you have done and use Freesat or cable.
My biggest problem at the moment is not the Quality of the signal but the content not being what I want to watch. I usually listen to the radio(vintage) while busy doing other things. Still that is probably more off topic still so I will leave it at that.
Frank
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 3:38 pm   #22
Nicklyons2
Octode

It is beyond me (so much is these days) why, if more restrictions are to be placed on the use of the upper Band V channels, are the authorities still sanctioning transmitters opening up new muxes on these very channels? Emley Moor recently opening up a mux on ch56 springs to mind.
Old 7th Jan 2015, 10:45 pm   #23
ljones0
Tetrode

Selling off even more bandwidth IHMO is a pretty bad idea. I'm wondering what will happen to freeview once the need to have all HD channels arises (there would be less space, unless you increase compression which would make everything look terrible). Then there's 4K on the horizon, so even more problems in the future. And then what next? *Another* 'digital switch over' and more e-waste.

More costs, eternal upgrades .... welcome to the future x.x .

IHMO A lot of the driver of this is essentially to make money. If it isn't making lots of money selling off the frequencies in the first place it is charging for the services afterwards. Remember watching TV on the itnernet always has an extra cost (you have to pay your internet provider).

I just get the feeling the plan is to essentially make everyone pay for everything. Isn't it intresting that increasingly if you watch TV via some sort of digital system there is increasingly more and more control systems (DRM, 'Smart' TVs with licence agreements, internet websites/services which spy on you, etc). Heaven forbid that you should watch TV in the non approved manner.

The attitude seems to be increasingly "We own everything. We have all the rights, and you have all the responsibilities. If you aren't watching TV how we approve and/or you can't pay, tough you can't see TV".

ljones

Last edited by ljones0; 7th Jan 2015 at 10:53 pm.
Closed Thread