UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2006, 8:29 pm   #1
System A
Pentode

Default Philips Style70 LOPT failures

My Philips Style70 has given up with the LOPT failing again!
This is the second one it's had in 10 years. Is this just my luck or were the replacement LOPTs poor as well?
I wonder if a Thorn jelly-pot would adapt? Anybody ever tried one before?
Regards GP.
Old 28th Aug 2006, 11:50 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: philips style 70 lopts

What else did you change as well as the LOPT?

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 29th Aug 2006, 6:58 am   #3
System A
Pentode

Checked everthing: line output valve, boost etc.
It's definitely the LOPT.
It is the model with the clock timer fitted, it's even got the magazine rack stand.
Do you think something could be causing the failure?
Regards GP.
Old 29th Aug 2006, 2:00 pm   #4
Focus Diode
Octode

Unfortunate indeed. Philips LOPTs do have a poor reputation from the Style 70 series onwards.

On a working set checking the boost voltage and keeping it as low as possible does help prolong life but is no guarantee.

Have you tried removing the overwind in case it's that which has failed?

Cheers,
Brian
Old 29th Aug 2006, 4:54 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi there
Probably the magazine rack's to blame!
Seriously, I've had a look in my pile of 'things that will come in useful one day' and there's a Philips LOPT, brand new in its box! Not sure if it's the Style 70 one, though. The number on the transformer is 3113 108 20913 and on the box is 3113 982 86791. There's one 7-way long plug, a base for the DY86 and the EHT lead, and it sits on a metal trapezium-shaped plate. Is it the one?
Send me a PM if it is - it's yours for a tenner (including the postage, of course)

Glyn
Old 29th Aug 2006, 7:23 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

Glyn - Might be worth putting a photo up so Gary can make sure it's the right one. If it is, I should think he'll buy....

Gary - Change C415 on the timebase board, and make sure it's clean at the connectors. Also check/replace C501, C502, C417, C418. Also check the HT voltage on the screen grid of V500 and R429 and C416.

Also scope V500 control grid and make sure the drive waveform is clean.

It is also a good idea (in my humble opinion) not to operate the standards switch with the set powered. The 'Shock' isn't good for the LOPT.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 2:11 pm   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Many years ago I fitted a BRC 1400 line output transformer into a Philips 19TG170A Style Seventy TV set.

The original scan coils did not match the jelly pot so the 1400 coils were installed also.

The inspiration for the project was in reponse to an article in the Television magazine where a contributor installed a jelly pot into his Bush TV125.

DFWB.
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 2:32 pm   #8
Steve_P
Dekatron

This article was in Sept 81 edition of The Mag, and it was written by Keith Hamer and Gary Smith. Didn't mention the coils being incompatible though. Want it posting here?

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 7:40 am   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hi,

If I recall correctly, the Bush TV125 LOPT mod in "Television" magazine was 625 only - not 405-625 switchable. Of course, you'll also need the clip-on EHT tripler unit for the Thorn 1400 LOPT.

Another possibility is to retrofit a Philips 210 or 300 series LOPT (also used in the Pye/Ekco 368 chassis) into your Style 70 set - I think the circuit is similar and the scan coils should not require changing.

The 210 & 300 series followed on from the Style 70 range. Although they also suffered from unreliable LOPT, they should be easier to source.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 7:33 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

Hi Gary, and others who wanted this.

Sorry it took so long, but I waited till the rain had stopped before I went to the Garage. Hope the delay - made longer by me forgetting the year - it is in fact 1982 - hasn't been too great.

Dazzlevision points out quite rightly that the Mod described is 625 Line only. And I don't know if it'll suit your scan coils on the Philips Sets. Only one way to find out!!!

Cheers,

Steve P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV125.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	5269   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV125-2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	5270