UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2016, 5:11 pm   #1
coupdetat
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sanyo M4000 power supply

Hi all,

Have somehow come into ownership of a Sanyo M4000 Cassette player in great condition, although currently missing a mains lead. I'm a complete newbie at this and after trawling the Internet for a while thought it'd be a safer bet to ask someone with actual knowledge of the subject.

On the back, it describes mains power as AC 120/200/240v 50/60Hz 10Wts, and has a small (about 1-2cm) rectangular, 2 prong hole for 'AC Input' - similar to a Figure 8, but not quite

What kind of lead would I need to get this to work? Based in the UK, so would need it to be compatible and safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	133432  
Old 26th Nov 2016, 9:56 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Sanyo M4000 power supply

That was an old standard mains connector used for cassette recorders, that fell suddenly out of favour and was replaced by the "figure 8" connector which is still in use today. I've heard it called a "Paros" connector.

I fear that any old stock has by now probably long been skipped, or had the connectors chopped off to use the handy metre or so of mains flex ; so the only likely supply of matching mains leads nowadays (unles some forum member has a secret stash?) is the backs of cupboards belonging to people who used to own a recorder fitted with such a connector, but lost or broke it while out and about and under battery power .....

However, it ought to be possible to modify the recorder with a modern figure-8 connector obtained from a dead boom box. (One from a laptop power brick will not be suitable, as this will not have the auxiliary contacts to disconnect the batteries when the mains lead is plugged in.)
Old 27th Nov 2016, 3:48 pm   #3
coupdetat
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the knowledge, much appreciated. Googling had really not given me much information on this, so that's good to know. I had a quick scour of this board and saw someone mentioning 'filing down' a Figure 8 connector to fit, saying that should do the trick.

I also saw someone linking to these, but without getting a 360' view of the plug, it doesn't really shed too much light on whether or not it would be useful.

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/cn-...lug/dp/CN05942
Old 27th Nov 2016, 10:53 pm   #4
camtechman
Nonode

That's the correct link for the connector you need very common on Sanyo equipment (they used it for both as a DC connector & an AC connector. That's why it was dropped later (imagine the confusion and sometimes an explosion !)
Old 28th Nov 2016, 9:51 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Can a standard fig-8 connector be persuaded to fit with a little judicious force?

I'm not necessarily advocating this, but maybe the experts (i.e. Julie and Tony) could comment?

Nick.
Old 28th Nov 2016, 11:58 am   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Nick,

It's better to use the actual 'Sanyo' type connector as it only has one groove in the casing, which engages with a keyway in the chassis 'socket' and the other side of the connector is flat and is the side that activates a switch on the 'socket' and cuts out the batteries.

Sometimes a standard fig 8 type may trip the switch but, as it's usually made of a softer material, this can cause problems, whereas the 'Sanyo' casing is a harder material, something similar to 'bakelite' or urea formaldehyde.
Old 28th Nov 2016, 12:02 pm   #7
stuayre
Retired Dormant Member

I've got a similar sort of problem here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=131672
Old 28th Nov 2016, 12:11 pm   #8
camtechman
Nonode

Nick, this may add to my post

Here's a marked up pic:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sanyo Connector.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	133498  

Last edited by camtechman; 28th Nov 2016 at 12:25 pm.
Old 28th Nov 2016, 12:17 pm   #9
camtechman
Nonode

Stuayre,

If you mean this socket, then that's a standard Fig 8 type.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20161126_161514.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	133503  
Old 28th Nov 2016, 12:34 pm   #10
stuayre
Retired Dormant Member

thanks camtechman!
Closed Thread