UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2016, 11:52 am   #1
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Philips N43xx, N44xx common parts?

Are components such as the heads and the pinch rollers interchangeable between tape recorders of the N43xx and N44xx series? I have an N4407 now, and I'm considering a non-running N4308 for spares.
Old 29th Oct 2016, 2:15 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N43xx, N44xx common parts?

Unfortunately not. I have both and, with the possible exception of the heads, mechanically they're pretty different. Fortunately they're both common designs so you should be able to find another of the same model. The 44xx is the superior model, two /three speed , stereo. The other is mono and low speed.
Old 29th Oct 2016, 7:23 pm   #3
Roy
Hexode

A few years ago, I was able to use the quarter-track record/playback head from a scrap N4308 to replace a worn-out head on a Pye 9137 (which is a clone of the N4407) and it worked perfectly. The mounting arrangements are different but the head itself, once removed from its bracket, seemed to be identical. I took some "before" and "after" photos at the time, if you are interested.

Hope this helps,
Roy
Old 29th Oct 2016, 11:20 pm   #4
suebutcher
Heptode

I'm impressed with the sound quality of the N4407, which I've bought as a replacement for my EL3547. Everything is better on the N4407, apart from the action of the pause control, and the less durable rubber and plastic components.

A picture of the 4308 head and bracket would be useful, Roy.

Last edited by suebutcher; 29th Oct 2016 at 11:28 pm.
Old 30th Oct 2016, 9:00 pm   #5
Roy
Hexode

I'm afraid I don't have a photo of the N4308, but I have attached photos of the N4407 with its worn-out original head, and with the head taken from the scrap N4308. If I remember correctly, the heads are fixed to the brackets with small screws inserted from below.

The old head was so badly worn that the inductance had dropped, so I could not be certain that the characteristics of the two heads were identical. However, once I had fitted the head from the N4308, I was able to set up the bias correctly (which had been impossible with the worn-out head) and the channels were perfectly balanced.

Now, if only I could get the main belt to stay on, it would be a good machine ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N4407 old head.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	131996   Click image for larger version

Name:	N4407 new head.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	131997  
Old 7th Nov 2016, 10:27 am   #6
suebutcher
Heptode

I've bought a Philips N4414 head and it's nearly identical; the same size, the same DC resistance per channel, and the same mounting bracket minus the shroud. The centre earthing pin doesn't connect directly to the head's casing, though. There's a resistance of 250 ohm there. No problems with this that I've noticed.
Old 7th Nov 2016, 10:38 am   #7
suebutcher
Heptode

Since this is the only N4407 thread currently open, I've got a question. The machine has no mains earth, and there's a slight 50Hz "thrizzle" when I run my finger lightly over the front panel or other parts connected to the chassis. The panel measures 50V AC above earth, with no measurable current. There wouldn't be a problem changing to an earthed power lead, would there?
Old 7th Nov 2016, 11:54 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebutcher View Post
There wouldn't be a problem changing to an earthed power lead, would there?
Not at all, except that you might introduce a hum loop if the machine were connected to other earthed equipment.
Old 8th Nov 2016, 12:08 am   #9
suebutcher
Heptode

I'm using it free-standing, so no worry. I tested the insulation on the transformer at 600V and there was no leakage, so I guess the effect on the front panel is some sort of induction. The trade press in Australia were very critical of unearthed imported gear like this, brought in despite not meeting local safety regulations. Japanese equipment often had leaky paper suppression capacitors connected directly to an unearthed case; I recently had a Lafayette go bang when I decided to earth it.
Old 8th Nov 2016, 10:18 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebutcher View Post
I recently had a Lafayette go bang when I decided to earth it.
Are your mains outlets RCD-protected, like they are here in newer installations?
Old 9th Nov 2016, 3:16 am   #11
suebutcher
Heptode

The house was built in 1968 before RCD's were required, and I think when the Lafayette cap blew up we just had wire fuses and spinning disc meters. The power company put in electronic meters last year, so perhaps we have RCD now. I can't see a reset switch, though.