UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2015, 11:43 am   #21
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Is this just a co-incidence?

Hi,
I'm not so sure about the vibration theory, as every old wireless I was given as a kid usually had a thriving arachnid community within (much to my mother's discomfort). Whether they tolerated the sound in return for the thermionic warmth, I know not.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 5th Jan 2015, 11:45 am   #22
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Is this just a coincidence?

Lloyd - those spiders with the tiny bodies and long thin legs sound like Harvestman types. Over the years I've grown to tolerate spiders (as long as they don't land on me, ugh), but the Harvestman is the one that continues to creep me out. I've only got to see one and I have to get away. Oh crikey, I've gone all funny.....ahem, actually they may not be spiders at all, as proper spiders have a two-part body. I'm not sure exactly what a Harvestman is, but they sure as hell give me the willies!
Old 5th Jan 2015, 2:11 pm   #23
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Can't understand Aracnophobia at least not in relation to the common household variety-if they land on your hand [by accident] they have not just been in the bin [or worse] unlike pesky house flies. Also Spiders do vintage repair and restoration work to keep their amazing webs going! Never seen a fly do a days work.

In Spider World [Colin Wilson] humans are the insect like creatures hiding and running around after an atomic disaster whilst Giant Spiders, draped between Tower Blokes, rule the earth. Enormous Bombadier Beetles are the worker insect engineers and techies keeping things running. There is communication by vibration in there [through the earth I think].

Maybe not perfect bed-time reading for Aracnophobes though or the Haunting of Toby Jugg [Dennis Wheatley] where a disabled airman is helpless in his hospital room as a Giant Spider approaches-like being trapped in the shed
Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 5th Jan 2015 at 2:20 pm.
Old 5th Jan 2015, 2:22 pm   #24
Simon_V
Retired Dormant Member

In one of my previous jobs I used to install computer controlled CCTV.

One day I spent a happy afternoon in the sunshine installing a new camera high up over a loading bay door for one of our customers.

That evening I get a call from my boss saying “What the hell is wrong with that camera you put up today” So I log into the system and watch for a while on the offending camera. It very soon became apparent to me it was a spider as they were attracted to the Infra Red lamps built into the front.

So my answer was this “Nothing. A creature 1000s of times smaller than you has in a few hours found a great place to build a home, has constructed that home, is now safe, warm and his house will even catch his dinner for him. Now I would like to see you do that in a couple of hours!”

Simon
Old 5th Jan 2015, 5:57 pm   #25
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Some interesting comments there. I didn't realise that spiders figured so much in the vintage community. I suppose we have all met our fair share while delving into radios etc. Simon, you've reminded me of a CCTV camera we had in my last job which was home to a spider which used to take great delight in dangling from a thread just at the right distance from the lens to make it appear absolutely gigantic on the monitor. It was joined by a carefully arranged toy skeleton from a Christmas cracker on Hallowe'en for added effect.
Alan.
Old 5th Jan 2015, 6:47 pm   #26
Aaamusements
Pentode

Those upside-down dome cameras aren't complete without at least one spider, usually a dead one that's dropped into the bottom as well...
Old 5th Jan 2015, 9:21 pm   #27

I like spiders, they have been about for more than 420 million years, that makes them vintage, must be a good design. When it comes to brushing off cobwebs, leave them for a day or two before doing it, most spiders only use them for a short while before making another.

Old 5th Jan 2015, 10:45 pm   #28
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, perhaps our Australian contributor will tell us what they have found in their sets.
That's a continent with proper spiders!! Never mind the mains or HT, watch out for the Funnelweb or Redback!

Ed
Old 6th Jan 2015, 12:12 am   #29
Simon_V
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I like spiders, they have been about for more than 420 million years, that makes them vintage, must be a good design. When it comes to brushing off cobwebs, leave them for a day or two before doing it, most spiders only use them for a short while before making another.
Biology on a vintage electronics forum – the mods are going to ban us all eventually LOL

All those that are arachnophobic should stop reading now.

What many perceive to be a dead spider is not. They have an exoskeleton and in order to grow they have to shed this outer skin, this includes the lenses of the eyes and parts of the reproductive organs. What emerges is a brand new creature that will be, once it recovers from the ordeal 15% to 20% bigger. What is left behind is a perfect replica of the original down to every last detail. This is how you sex spiders by the way - from a shed skin not the live creature. They will often seek out somewhere secluded and safe to go through this process as they are at their most vulnerable at this time.

A minor biological miracle of this process is they can regenerate lost limbs when they shed their skins. The loss of a limb however often proves fatal as their blood contains no coagulant so they can bleed to death from relatively minor injuries.

Back to our thread – Their sight is relatively poor although extends over a broader range than ours. It’s entirely possible they don’t like the sound from the headphones. They don’t hear as such but are able to perceive the smallest vibrations in the air and know where they are coming from. You only have to witness a tree dwelling Tarantula take a live fly out of mid air while hanging on to a branch with two legs to appreciate how well tuned these senses are. Effectively they see sound.

I will bow out now before we all get banned

Simon

Last edited by Simon_V; 6th Jan 2015 at 12:37 am.
Closed Thread