UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2020, 11:10 am   #41
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TC 800A portable R2R belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Here is the identification from the bottom of one of mine and the plate underneath the power connector. This is a 4 speed model with built in mike. Obviously the previous owner did not have the original and correct power connector and performed this bodge!
It certainly gives the impression that the mains voltage cannot be adjusted. I have yet to remove the bottom to check.

Peter
Peter,

It would be very interesting to see a photo showing your mains transformer primary taps wiring.

David
Old 21st Jun 2020, 11:32 am   #42
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Leese View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
This TC-800A seems to be specific to Japan 100 volts mains, according to its label as attached.
Yes David i see the voltage on your picture but as you can see on the photo of the information plate that posted earlier there is no mention of any ac voltage, very strange.
Yes realised that your plate did not state the voltage, I think because it is universal mains (with appropriate tapping) but would have been more meaningful if it quoted the voltage range, rather than just saying "AC 50/60Hz".
Old 21st Jun 2020, 11:35 am   #43
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Hi everyone and thanks for you patience in this matter, here is a better photo if its of any more help, also there is not a switch to switch over voltages in the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_113236.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	209098  
Old 21st Jun 2020, 12:09 pm   #44
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Hello Trevor,

That helps a lot but is still a little confusing, compared to the schematic it does not appear to match any of the 4 voltage options 100% ?

If the red wire was not there then I would have said yes it is 240 volt wired. It probably is wired for 240 but the presence of the red wire confuses the situation.

I assume from the photo that the white wire loop at top corner is just a wire link (effectively unused) both ends connecting to the top right tap (120V) is this correct ?

Personally before I would be happy to say yes 240 volts wired confirmed/OK to switch on, I would like to know where the wires leaving the transformer primary connect to, namely the 2 white wires, the red wire and the orange wire.

2 of the wires will go back to the mains connector AC pins (identified on the schematic as A & B), probably direct but one connection also connects to the resistor for the neon lamp. I would guess these will be the white wires but could be wrong.

One connection (I would say most likely the orange wire) should connect to the neon lamp.

This leaves the red wire which currently to me is a mystery, because from the photo it connects to the white wire link that connects the top 120V tap to the bottom left hand tap (0V), this type of connection is not shown on the schematic for any voltage setting ?

David
Old 21st Jun 2020, 12:10 pm   #45
ms660
Dekatron

Out of interest here's a UK ad:

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/ID...20tc%20800a%22

Lawrence.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 12:16 pm   #46
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes that agrees with the schematic 4 voltage options, namely 110, 120, 220 & 240.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 12:33 pm   #47
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Hello Trevor,

That helps a lot but is still a little confusing, compared to the schematic it does not appear to match any of the 4 voltage options 100% ?

If the red wire was not there then I would have said yes it is 240 volt wired. It probably is wired for 240 but the presence of the red wire confuses the situation.

I assume from the photo that the white wire loop at top corner is just a wire link (effectively unused) both ends connecting to the top right tap (120V) is this correct ?

Personally before I would be happy to say yes 240 volts wired confirmed/OK to switch on, I would like to know where the wires leaving the transformer primary connect to, namely the 2 white wires, the red wire and the orange wire.

2 of the wires will go back to the mains connector AC pins (identified on the schematic as A & B), probably direct but one connection also connects to the resistor for the neon lamp. I would guess these will be the white wires but could be wrong.

One connection (I would say most likely the orange wire) should connect to the neon lamp.

This leaves the red wire which currently to me is a mystery, because from the photo it connects to the white wire link that connects the top 120V tap to the bottom left hand tap (0V), this type of connection is not shown on the schematic for any voltage setting ?

David
The orange does go to the battery level meter, the red wire appears to go to where the mains plug plugs into the unit then back out and ends up as shown in my next photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-21 12.32.10.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	209103  
Old 21st Jun 2020, 12:44 pm   #48
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Are you sure about the battery level meter, have not seen this on the schematic and would not think the transformer would connect to it ?

I do not recognize what the red and white wires in your photo are connecting to, can you elaborate please, are they battery compartment terminal wires ? once again if battery connections then makes no sense that the red wire would connect to ?
Old 21st Jun 2020, 12:57 pm   #49
ms660
Dekatron

The battery level is only displayed when switched to playback, I would think the level meter would contain the neon, maybe both the red and orange wires go to the neon in the meter? They are connected to a 110 volts supply.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 21st Jun 2020 at 1:19 pm. Reason: addition
Old 21st Jun 2020, 1:46 pm   #50
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Ok guys, i think the time has come to draw a line under the voltage issue, its taking up far too much of everyone's valuable time.
In the absence of a fully UK only service manual and the fact that absolutely no where externally on the tape deck does it mention voltages then i think its best to keep it and use it on 12volt only.
I want to say a huge thank you to all of you for allowing me some of your personal time and on Father's Day too.
Once agsin 'Thank You ' enjoy the rest of your day guys.
Trevor
Old 21st Jun 2020, 1:53 pm   #51
ms660
Dekatron

Fairly certain its configured for 240 volts operation, two 0-120v primary windings connected in series, the neon being connected across a 0v and 110v tap (as would be expected) on the transformer by the orange and red wires.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 21st Jun 2020 at 2:05 pm. Reason: addition
Old 21st Jun 2020, 2:20 pm   #52
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Fairly certain its configured for 240 volts operation, two 0-120v primary windings connected in series, the neon being connected across a 0v and 110v tap (as would be expected) on the transformer by the orange and red wires.

Lawrence.
Thanks Lawrence, i too suspect its wired for 240 volts, as i said at the start of this thread the item belonged to a chap who passed away recently and he bought it new in 1969/1970 but the mains lead and other accessories were not made available to me when i got it but unless he bought a new US model in the early 70s and used it in the UK with an external transformer (which i find difficult to believe) it must be 99% a uk unit but until i can prove that i think I'd be better leaving it as a 12volt unit just to be on the safe side. Uk versions of the service manual seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo.

All the best bud and thanks once again to everyone who has played a part in this Sony TC800 A adventure.
Trevor
Old 21st Jun 2020, 2:25 pm   #53
ms660
Dekatron

As an aside, you don't need a schematic to check for 240 volts operation, if the two 0-120v windings are connected in series and then are connected across the mains input then it will be configured for 240 volts operation.

Good luck with it whicheverways.

Lawrence.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 2:41 pm   #54
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
As an aside, you don't need a schematic to check for 240 volts operation, if the two 0-120v windings are connected in series and then are connected across the mains input then it will be configured for 240 volts operation.

Good luck with it whicheverways.

Lawrence.
Thanks for all of your and everyone else's input.
Have a great day.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 4:48 pm   #55
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Well Trevor unless there is a 240 volt tapping that I cannot see in the photo, it does look like this is 110 volt USA model. I assume the white wire going to the 110V tap goes to pin C of the mains connector as per the schematic.

Can only assume that previous UK owner used a step down mains adapter.

David
As we now consider fairly comfortably that it is a universal mains transformer configured for 240 volts operation, assume the previous owner probably powered it from internal batteries due to the missing mains/DC connection cable.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 5:09 pm   #56
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
The battery level is only displayed when switched to playback, I would think the level meter would contain the neon, maybe both the red and orange wires go to the neon in the meter? They are connected to a 110 volts supply.

Lawrence.
Yes can now see the meter and that the battery strength is only monitored in Playback mode. I did wonder where physically the neon might be, it seems plausible that it might well be integrated into the meter assembly.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 5:14 pm   #57
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:

Lawrence.
Yes agree (assuming that the red and orange wires do go to the neon/resistor assembly).
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 10:35 am   #58
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Quote:

Lawrence.
Yes can now see the meter and that the battery strength is only monitored in Playback mode. I did wonder where physically the neon might be, it seems plausible that it might well be integrated into the meter assembly.
Hi Lawrence, yes the meter is only monitored in playback, the neon bulb is lkcated just underneath the battery meter.
Thanks
Trevor
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 10:39 am   #59
Trevor Leese
Pentode

The 800 model not the A or B variants state 230 volt only on the information plate, the model known as the Sony 105 which is similar but little larger states on the information plate 110, 117, 120, 230 and 240 volts so i would assume it accepts all voltages, but still mine states nothing at all.
Closed Thread