UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2020, 4:09 pm   #1
RobustReviews
Pentode

Default Rotel RD-865 Won't Play

Hello all,

Just wondered if anybody has any diagnostic advice.

I have a Rotel RD-865 that won't play. The belt is intact and the transport fast-forwards and rewinds (although it's a dual motor system.)

When play is pressed the head carriage moves in to position, the capstan starts for less than a second and the carriage drops down again. The unit then locks up and needs to be powered down and restarted. Until this the transport controls do absolutely nothing.

I would suspect that there's an IC waiting for an input or getting one it doesn't expect. It detects the tape type when a cassette is inserted and I've tried a few different cassettes. It's cosmetically a perfect and a nice unit so I would really like to get it working again.

Anybody come across this before?

Cheers,
RR
Old 16th Jun 2020, 7:49 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Rotel RD-865 Won't Play

I have no knowledge or experience of this unit. Looks a good model.

When the problem occurs does the tape type indicator stay lit or does it go off/flash ?

David
Old 16th Jun 2020, 8:55 pm   #3
RobustReviews
Pentode

Thank you for the reply

It stays lit, so I don't think it's those switches causing it. I've tried metal and chrome tapes with no difference.

Its got to be better than the nasty old early 80s Sharp that's currently in the system!
Old 17th Jun 2020, 9:07 am   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

As it has 2 motors I suspect 1 is for the capstan/loading and the other for spooling. If the spool motor isn't starting than the mech may well shut down to stop chewing tape. Clean all switches on the deck. Unused for years they can tarnish and cause various problems.
Have you got a service manual?
Old 19th Jun 2020, 4:50 pm   #5
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Any help?

Chris Williams
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rotel_rd-865_sm.pdf (1.58 MB, 184 views)