UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2020, 4:35 pm   #61
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Predicted life of audio recorded on magnetic tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Honestly, I really have no connection with Greg Milner's 2009 book [post 8*] but if you are interested in the German origins of audio recording during WW2 it's a great investment for that alone and everything else.
The layout is not that linear but that can be an advantage.
The style has caught on-see "1, 2, 3, 4 The Beatles In Time" by Craig Brown [just out] and of course, Chronicles Bob Dylan 2004!

Dave W
Funnily enough I've just read that section and it is a fascinating part of the book. On the whole the book so far has been very good, although some of Greg's philosophising is a bit annoying and some of the quotes re valve vs solid state mixing desks from people who really should know better are puzzling to say the least. Still a great book though.
Old 16th May 2020, 5:58 pm   #62
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

And one of his assertions is plain nonsense. The two K4s Mullin found at Frankfurt were not the only "sanctioned" AC bias machines in Germany - RRG had been running AC bias across the network since 1942, and the RRG stereo machine was also AC bias. This journalistic glossing-over of points the author doesn't understand is not uncommon, and erodes trust in the rest of the work.
Old 16th May 2020, 7:17 pm   #63
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Snap Andrew! I take your point Ted but I still like the book overall. There was something he mentioned or I found when going through one of the Bletchley books that I couldn't [trace relating to one of the German recorders I think]. I'll get back to you for advice, if I can find out what it was-I wrote it down somewhere Thanks for the update Barretter. It sort of confirms my comment about a need for a more central integration. The NSA had an outpost, not in "that London", but Clitheroe Castle... circa 1983!

Dave W
Old 16th May 2020, 10:22 pm   #64
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
is a food dehydraytor, preferably supplemented by a temperature probe. The window is fairly narrow - below 50C, not much happens, but sustained 55C or above can cause noticeable print-through. Baking time used to be about 24 hours for a quarter inch reel, but this has gradually increased to several days.
I guess that the ideal device would be a vacuum oven, fairly common-place in chem labs and I have one in my garage, left over from the days when I was a productive member of society. Basically, this allows you to warm anything to specific temperature while under a vacuum, or partial vacuum, so is a much more effective approach than using a desiccant. I'd guess that you could probably achieve drying at temperatures appreciably below 50'C.

B
Old 16th May 2020, 10:33 pm   #65
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Thanks for the update Barretter. It sort of confirms my comment about a need for a more central integration. The NSA had an outpost, not in "that London", but Clitheroe Castle... circa 1983!

Dave W
It seems that the sound archive at Clitheroe Castle was the North West Sound Archive, a collection of recordings relating to life in the North West and not connected to the National Sound Archive as such.
Old 16th May 2020, 10:58 pm   #66
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Oh dear. Thanks for that Barretter. A bit Monty Python eh? Not the "Peoples Front of Judea" but the "Judean Peoples Front" It still makes my point though

Dave
Old 12th Jun 2020, 11:40 am   #67
garry71
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry71 View Post
I've wrapped a sticky tape in some paper towel, and put it in a container of rice. I'll leave it a couple of weeks, and see how it goes.
I gave it a month in the rice(without the paper towel), and it has improved quite a bit. There was still a bit of a sticky patch, but it didn't affect play that I noticed.
I don't know how long it will be good for, but I've got a digital copy of it now, so the recording is saved.

This was only a small tape, one of those World Record Club recordings, so I don't know how it would be on something larger like a 7 inch reel.
I have a particularly nasty 7 inch AGFA which I will try in the rice once I find a large enough container.
Closed Thread