UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2014, 8:16 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default worldradiohistory.com (was americanradiohistory.com)

Site renamed, both addresses work for the time being.

https://worldradiohistory.com/
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/

is a site I came across by chance with a google search.
Seems like 1,000s of pdf articles, most of which are searchable. Books, data, magazines, the list seems endless. NOT ALL are American, e.g. Wireless World magazine.
I must admit I have only been looking a very few minutes before posting details on here. So much to search!
Enjoy it!
rob

Last edited by AC/HL; 20th Jun 2020 at 11:59 pm. Reason: Site renamed
Old 7th Nov 2014, 9:38 pm   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Big site lots to see! Not just USA. americanradiohistory.com

This is brilliant! Well spotted, now bookmarked, thanks.
Regards,
Paul
Old 8th Nov 2014, 3:43 pm   #3
Ti Pwun
Heptode

I think this was listed here before but yes, a great site indeed. Spend an hour there the other week without realising it.
Old 8th Nov 2014, 4:22 pm   #4
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Yes, you are right.
I must admit I did have a browse in websites category here first, but it was referred to as "Online archive of "Wireless World" 1913 to 1984", that's why I didn't see it.
Oh well, one can't have too much of a good bit of history!
rob
Old 9th Nov 2014, 8:30 pm   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

No harm in being told twice. It was a different section though, as you say, so maybe someone will see it who didn't see it previously.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 12:18 am   #6
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default ETI magazines

Link to old publications of ETI mags
https://www.americanradiohistory.com...jZoJt3MzQQzZcc
Old 9th Mar 2019, 12:49 am   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: ETI magazines

That is useful.
I can now look at old issues I once read in there day.
Cheers.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 1:55 am   #8
joebog1
Banned

Default Americanradiohistory

I dont know how many of you "trawl" Americanradiohistory.com as I do,
( I check every day) But today a new section was started entitled "Radios Master Catalog "

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...er-Catalog.htm

Although its American it has some superb pictures and specifications of all things beautiful. Its brag is it contains information on all radio parts and sub assemblies, components, transformers and specifications thereof, capacitors etc. Its well worth a look for anybody restoring equipment with missing or bodged bits, especially of course if it was made in the USA. I have only had a brief look ( ~ about 4 hours ) but its loaded with information.

Where would we be without Americanradiohistory.com?

Joe
Old 14th Dec 2019, 12:10 pm   #9
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Beat me to it, saw it this morning but the missus wanted to go traipsing all over the countryside before I could post it up.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 3:15 pm   #10
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Fascinating. Just had a quick look through the RadioMasters catalogue. If only there was an "order parts now" button.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 3:27 pm   #11
Nuvistor
Dekatron

It is a really great site, with a site that large there are occasional failed links. Please use the reporting link, David fixes them quickly, helps to keep the valuable information available.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 11:12 pm   #12
joebog1
Banned

David is a very busy man !!! I have occasionally found broken links, I send him the details. The links get repaired usually in a few hours, and he always sends a quick thankyou.

Joe
Old 15th Dec 2019, 10:22 pm   #13
Sideband
Dekatron

I bookmarked it ages ago. I regularly read back issues of Radio Constructor which was my favourite magazine...at least up until about 1974...I think it had changed direction somewhat by then.

Also useful for past issues of Television and Practical Television especially for servicing notes. I hope this valuable resource will be around for some time.
Old 16th Apr 2020, 9:14 am   #14
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Practical Wireless, Wireless World, and much much more.

Many forum members will be aware of the website https://www.americanradiohistory.com...s_Magazine.htm
For those who don't know and have time to spare, most of the radio related publications from Britain and the US are available.

I have no connection to this free site other than being a happy browser.

Keep Safe, John.
Old 16th Apr 2020, 9:18 am   #15
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Practical Wireless, Wireless World, and much much more.

One of my favourite on-line resources. They also have a load of Babani publications too, and as you say loads more.

Craig
Old 16th Apr 2020, 11:21 am   #16
emeritus
Dekatron

Sites like this are possible in the USA because, before their copyright law was amended around 20 years ago, it was necessary to file a copy of any printed publication with the Library of Congress to get US copyright protection. It seems that most foreign journals never bothered.

Last edited by emeritus; 16th Apr 2020 at 11:27 am. Reason: Typo correction
Old 16th Apr 2020, 7:16 pm   #17
John KC0G
Hexode

Default Re: americanradiohistory.com, many British and International electronics publications

I think that some of the material is probably still under copyright. It then comes down to whether or not the copyright holder chooses to enforce their copyright. Copies of Electronics Australia and the RSGB's Radcom and its previous incarnations were all removed from the site. You can see the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) notice from Electronics Australia.

Grace Hopper has been quoted as saying: "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission".

73 John
Old 16th Apr 2020, 8:51 pm   #18
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: americanradiohistory.com, many British and International electronics publications

I believe the owner of the site has tended to limit the scans to older issues to avoid major issues with copyright.
Old 16th Apr 2020, 8:58 pm   #19
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Practical Wireless, Wireless World, and much much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
One of my favourite on-line resources. They also have a load of Babani publications too, and as you say loads more.

Craig
Bernard Babani Publishing Ltd is still very much in business and lists 16 electronics books.

http://www.babanibooks.com/index.htm

They will still hold the copyright to the books that are long since out of print, but I guess that they'd have no interest in reprinting them as they wouldn't find a market, so in that sense, they aren't making a commercial loss by them having been archived on the ARH site. American Radio History is after all, a non-commercial archive of magazines of historic interest that would otherwise have been lost forever, many if not most of which were printed by publishers long since out of business, so it would be rather a shame if - as little more than an act of spite - copyright holders were to demand that their publications be pulled from the site even though they had no commercial interest in them so no loss of revenue.

That said, where it gets awkward is when the publisher exists and offers the same information for sale. For example, Practical Wireless market DVDs of five years of PWs from 1965 onwards at a cost of £79.99, so the potential loss of revenue could theoretically be quite large. The reality is I guess that if someone is only interested in a two-page article from 1965 onwards, it's highly unlikely that they'd fork ot £79.99 for a five-year DVD.

As to Radcom, RSGB have CD-ROMs of Radcom and its predecessor The Bulletin for each single year going back to 1925:

https://rsgbstore.uk/acatalog/Online...___QST_17.html

(I binned all mine from when I joined in 1974 to when I resigned in 2004 - no interest to me, nor to anyone else. Couldn't give them away).
Old 16th Apr 2020, 11:50 pm   #20
emeritus
Dekatron

In the early 2000's the Marconi publicity guy and their archivist were in rooms next to mine. Marconi policy was to let anyone to reproduce their published material for free as long as its source was acknowledged. I was told that circa 1980 someone was given permission to reprint a classic GEC book on valves.

I have not kept up with patent law since I retired some years ago, but because copyright is determined by national laws, it is quite possible for works to be out of copyright in some countries but not others. My understanding was that, under the new US law, while it was no longer necessary to have deposited a copy of publications to get copyright, it was necessary to do so before initiating proceedings to enforce it, although this could be waived for non-US entities. Not sure if this applies to works created before the amended law took effect. I do recall that when the Soviet Union eventually signed up to the relevant international treaty circa 1970, it managed to do so with retrospective effect. This cut off a source of copyright-free music for some astute amateur film makers who had realised that no copyright existed in the LP's of music written, arranged, and played by Russian citizens that they could buy in the Russian shop in London in the 1960's.

Last edited by emeritus; 17th Apr 2020 at 12:08 am. Reason: Typos
Closed Thread