UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2012, 1:45 am   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Use of Pye Ranger transformer for a valve Amp?

Some people will remember the various Pye radio telephones that were around in the 1960's and widely used by amateurs after conversion to 4 and 2m. One of the earlier Pye Ranger sets used amplitude modulation, the audio coming from a pair of EL90 (6AQ5) couple by a round "potted" transformer which looked much like a bean can. That transformer has two secondary windings, one being a relatively high impedance winding which fed the RF output valve but the other winding is a very low impedance winding and I never knew what it did. The 2 possibilities I think are that it either provided feedback for audio compression or the other possibility is that it could be used to feed a public address system.

I have three of these transformers and I am intrigued by the idea that if that winding would drive a speaker of the right impedance, these components could form the basis of an interesting audio amp project. Has anyone any knowledge of these items?
Old 15th Mar 2012, 11:54 am   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Use of Pye Ranger transformer for a valve Amp?

It would probably have restricted frequency response, so not hi-fi!
Old 15th Mar 2012, 1:21 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Hi Dave; it is certainly correct that those rigs restricted the audio to a range of about 200-3000Hz, using filters in the pre-amp. In the absence of original technical info, I am wondering what fairly simple tests could be done to find out the key parameters. Could the frequency response be assessed by using a signal generator to drive one winding between 20Hz to 20kHz and observing the output on a secondary? If that proved to good, it's the tests needed to verify the impedance and the power rating of the "second" secondary that I'm not sure about
Old 15th Mar 2012, 1:44 pm   #4
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

As a start you could measure the resistance and inductance of each winding, with other windings open circuit. Then measure the inductance of the primary with the secondaries shorted.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 7:45 pm   #5
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Bazz

I have been asked to look at a ws62 set (Pye) and get it going on receive. It has a rotary convertor which is noisy. Later versions had an invertor and it may be advatageous to update it. Do you have a spare Pye invertor transformer?
Thanks

Trevor
Old 16th Mar 2012, 10:15 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Trevor; sorry cannot help there; my OCD only extended to collecting mod transformers! If you can, try find something from a Pye Vanguard, a later model with an inverter giving 400V at ~100mA for the Tx and ~200V for the Rx.

Dave, I can get the resistance and inductance values; does the shorting action give an indication of the power rating on the secondary as a refection of its loading effect?

Bazz
Old 16th Mar 2012, 11:20 pm   #7

Shorting the other winding gives a measure of the leakage inductance, i.e. how bad it is. With an ideal transformer shorting one winding (givinig it zero henrys) would reflect zero henries into the other one, with good transfomers this is thounsands to one, for example my output transformers have a primary inductance of 300H but shorting the output they are 40mH.

Old 17th Mar 2012, 12:05 am   #8
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Total power rating may have to be guessed from size and weight, with the advantage that we know what the conditions were for modulator use. The extra secondary which you are interested in can be investigated by considering the ratios of inductances and resistances.

If two windings are meant to handle similar power then they will occupy similar amounts of space. The inductance ratio is a rough guide to impedance ratio, as both vary like turns squared. If the resistance ratio differs markedly from this, then the windings are not meant to handle similar power. This is not highly accurate, but should let you distinguish between a feedback winding and an alternative output winding.
Old 17th Mar 2012, 7:08 am   #9
techiesteve
Pentode

Trevor, have you seen this article http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/artic...2-inverter.htm. I've never come across the source of the transformer core in the article, but RS sell it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post
Bazz

I have been asked to look at a ws62 set (Pye) and get it going on receive. It has a rotary convertor which is noisy. Later versions had an invertor and it may be advatageous to update it. Do you have a spare Pye invertor transformer?
Thanks

Trevor
Old 17th Mar 2012, 4:16 pm   #10
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Thanks, I had not seen the article. Will have to see if the owner wants the set 'improved'
Closed Thread