UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2013, 9:01 am   #1
AndyShrewsbury
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush SRP64 Record Player

Hi all,

I have just found my parents' 1970 (or thereabouts) Bush SRP 64 record player. When I try to use it the stylus simply runs across the top of the record (don't worry I'm using a particulary ordinary Barclay James Harvest disc!) and so I am assuming I need a new stylus.

Firstly would that seem a logical conclusion and secondly is there any way I could possibly get one? The reference on the stylus is either 'GDS 178' or 'GDSI 78'. Any help appreciated as my daughter is intrigued to see how a 'record' works and who am I to disappoint her?

Regards

Andy
Old 19th Apr 2013, 10:03 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush SRP64 Record Player

Replacement styli for most makes & models are available from several suppliers, e.g. A-V-A on-line or Musonic, to name but two.(see the 'sticky' thread at the head of this section for contact details).

I don't recognize the the numbers GDS178 or GDSI78, though other members might.
Sounds like a reference to a 78rpm stylus to me. Before ordering, check what pick-up cartridge (the item to which the stylus is attached) is fitted, as it may not be the original type. If you can post a picture of the arm/cartridge assembly on here one of us may recognize it.
Closed Thread