UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2007, 5:57 pm   #1
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up 4 Volt Dial bulbs

Having restored quite a few pre war sets I had quite given up on obtaining dial bulbs for the same. These are usually rated at around 4 Volts 0.3 Amperes (300 Ma). Nearest modern equivalent seemed to be 6.3 Volt 300 Ma these work but are not very bright when working from the 4 Volt heater supply on these sets.
Having carried out many google searches in the past and drawn a blank I was very surprised to find my local electronics shop ESR electronics at Cullercoats, Tyne and Wear (http://www.esr.co.uk/) Have had them in stock all the time
Now all I have to do is set too and change all those 6.3 jobbys I have put in umpteen sets in the past!
Seriously thought I hope this information is of use to one or two fellow collectors / restorers?
Paul.
Old 13th Jul 2007, 6:50 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 4 Volt Dial bulbs

I always keep an eye open for MES bulbs at flea markets and car boots. You often find cardboard trays of these on sale for little money. The commonest voltages are 2.4 and 3.5 but 4.8, 6 and 12V also crop up. A good range of bulbs allows you to experiment with different types.

Paul
Old 13th Jul 2007, 9:36 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Last time I bought some of these was from CPC. It was a few years ago and co-insided with my restoration of a Philips 470A. Not sure if they are still stocking them. I can try to find the order number later but it means digging into my archives......(the loft)!

Rich
Old 13th Jul 2007, 11:00 pm   #4
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

If you pop into your local branch of Newey and Eyre and ask for the lamps catalogue they can order them in.
Old 14th Jul 2007, 9:43 am   #5
Alf Fisher
Hexode

CPC have 4.8v 300mA MES ones under order code AR70336.

Alf
Old 14th Jul 2007, 10:58 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Isn't 4.8V the nominal bulb rating for a 6V battery torch to allow for voltage drop on load?

Probably explains their continued availability....

Chris
Old 16th Jul 2007, 11:43 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Fisher View Post
CPC have 4.8v 300mA MES ones under order code AR70336.

Alf
They're the ones! They work perfectly in my Philips set with 4v heaters.

Rich.