UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:23 pm   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Gould 4072 display help!

I thought I'd start a new thread about the Gould 4072 / 4074 'scope I'm working on since I think I have the power supply working now. I'd appreciate any ideas about this new fault.

I have attached a part of the circuit diagram for the pre-amplifier board. During extended testing after sorting the power supply I noticed the smell of something hotter than is should be and started to investigate. There was a 'pop' and the screen went blank. The encircled resistor, a 100R surface mount type, had gone open circuit. I did some basic tests around the component and, finding nothing of note, replaced it. The new part lasted about 30 seconds and popped again.

I have checked a few other voltages such as the TRACE/ALPHA line at PLNA22 which switches correctly. The -12V supply is okay although the +12 is nearer 11V so maybe the regulator isn't behaving.

I am beginning despair that I'll ever get this 'scope reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fault path?.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	168196  

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 27th Aug 2018, 7:13 pm   #2
buggies
Heptode

Default Re: Gould 4072 display help!

Never did like circuits with no component values...
Perhaps tack on a couple of wires to a higher value resistor (10k?) which may give you a chance to track where the current is going without it fusing.
Is that 270v on the right-hand end? C835 breaking down?
Old 28th Aug 2018, 11:46 am   #3
dave cox
Nonode

Default Re: Gould 4072 display help!

Q802 is a cascode, so should be soaking up most of the voltage here as its emitter is pinned to +11.something volts ! Might be worth a quick check that its still a transistor!

Q801 looks a bit strange, it will need something to yank the emitter toward -ve to turn on (via R825) also reverse biasing D804.

The current through the 100R should go through R970, R825 or R804 but I suspect R804 is too high a value. R825 could be isolated by pulling the connector (maybe). Or that cap as buggies says

dc
Closed Thread