UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2018, 4:46 pm   #1
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Default AVO VCM Mk II

Hi All
Having stripped down the roller switch on my AVO mkii Last year it's starting to stick on a couple of the switches one of them in fact will only go one way,I am not bothered about stripping in down again I was just wondering if anyone has done one before and is it a good idea to lightly grease the internal parts or is it a case of I wish I hadn't done that.keith
Old 27th Aug 2018, 2:06 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO Mk II

The rotary selector switches? Which model- 7,8,9 or 40 i'm guessing..?

There are 2 places jamming can occur, a) in the sliding electrical contacts.The tolerances are quite fine and if an arc occurs they can repeatedly lock up at the same point. b) swarf or carborundum fragments lodged under the front of the switch can cause the ball and spring assy. to grate against the switch knob. On stripdown the little balls always make a bid for freedom just when you least expect it.

My one experience of this total switch dismantlement is based on an old meter (1948) but similar mechanism seems to carry through onto later models. I had to knock the taper pins out of the switches, it was quite involved. I did use a small amount of grease to ease the reciprocal action of the balls and springs.

Flushing with wd40 is verboten as it will only make things worse!

Tip- only dismantle one switch at a time..

Dave
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:13 pm   #3
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Hi Dave
Thanks for the reply sorry this is my fault i should have explained it better this is an AVO vcm.it's the edgewise valve pin selector switches on the top of the tester nine in total and yes I have cleaned the front panel switches and guess what a cheaky little steel ball flew across the room at the speed of light,I did find it eventually.i used a small amount of oil on the spring leaf that holds the ball barings,the contacts I have cleaned in the past.regards keith

Last edited by G1RAO keith; 27th Aug 2018 at 5:17 pm. Reason: Memory loss in me
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:15 pm   #4
Sinewave
Octode

Is this a valve tester?
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:19 pm   #5
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Hi
Yes just edited my last post AVO mkii vcm.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:55 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO VCM Mk II

Thread title updated
Closed Thread