UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2021, 2:53 pm   #1
Beardyman
Hexode

Default BSR GU4 turntable

Good afternoon,

How do you get the platter off!
I've removed the circlip on the center stem but it will not lift off, it does move up & down but only about 2mm. The platter revolves freely (maybe a bit too freely?). Any hints and/or tips will be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 4:44 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR GU4 turntable

Made in 1953/54, it might have been the first time someone will have tried to take this off.
Try to lift from each side by hand prising/rocking it from left to right to ease it off, try oil down the spindle first and be patient. The rubber on the Idler wheel may have become brittle and broken off and that's why it may be spining too freely.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 9:30 pm   #3
Beardyman
Hexode

Thanks for the tips Edward Huggins, all very useful.
I did manage to have a closer look tonight, there's a locking screw underneath in the stem bearing, once that was out it came out very easily.
Considering the age it's in very good condition, oil still liquid in the bearing luckily. Idler wheel is intact but very hard, one of the motor mounting grommets is missing & the other two are as bubble gum.
Overall not too bad.
It is fitted in a wooden case covered with leatherette.
On one side there is a round three pin plug for the mains & a 1/4" jack socket for the pickup.
All original leads came with it but they are not going to be used, far beyond safe.
One other thing I noticed, there's a rotary switch as well, this goes off to a tag board with various resistors & capacitors attached, I'm guessing this is to compensate and/or attenuate the response of the cartridge?
Original cartridge still present but I doubt that will do anything.
Quite pleased thus far.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 9:43 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The original cartridge is a BSR TC4, the original groove grinder. The rotary switch attenuator is likely to be a home-brew and is likely to cause insertion loss. The surface of that large diameter idler wheel can be refreshed. Buy new rubber grommets of a similar OD and stack them to the required height. The tracking weight iof the tone arm is not adjustable so you will need to add weight at the very rear inside end of the arm's moulding. The whole thing is built like a Battleship!
Old 14th Jan 2021, 7:48 am   #5
John10b
Nonode

Any chance of a picture or two Beardyman, in particular the “locking” screw holding in the platter? Many thanks.
John
Old 14th Jan 2021, 10:25 am   #6
Beardyman
Hexode

John10b,
I'll see if I can snap a couple of pictures tonight, apart from the locking screw is there anything else you may find of interest?

Edward Huggins,
I've read some fearful reports of the TC4! This deck has an arm retaining clip which I've not seen on any others on the net. The arm support post on others do have a hole drilled to accommodate it. Thanks for the tip regarding weighting of the arm, appreciated. You're right on the money, the whole thing is built like a battleship! Very sturdy unit. The motor turns freely but is at an odd angle because of the rotten grommets. It even has the original inspection tag!
Old 14th Jan 2021, 8:48 pm   #7
Beardyman
Hexode

Pictures as requested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_174856.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	224600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_174909.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	224601   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_175141.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	224602   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_175157.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	224603   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_175213.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	224604  

Old 14th Jan 2021, 9:05 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Ah now I can see it, that cartridge is not a BSR TC4. That tone-arm clip is a home-brew effort. Suggest you discard that board of dodgy looking filter caps. If you are intending to use this, rather than sell or store it, what equipment do you plan to use it with and what kind of records would you plan to play?
Old 14th Jan 2021, 10:33 pm   #9
Beardyman
Hexode

This turntable would be to play mainly 78's (got quite a few of those) & some mono 45's I have collected over the years, nothing later than mid 60's. The cartridge will be replaced but, as yet, not sure which one, probably a ceramic generic type. Before any of that I need to find out if the rest of the mechanism is viable. There's evidence of the unit having been stored somewhere damp as inside the case there is quite a lot of white mould. The tag board has component designations silk screened on it so possibly a commercially available "add on" from yesteryear. I'll probably hook it up to my Cutlery Junk Box valve amp but we shall see, something else may present itself!
I'll be looking at it a bit closer over the weekend......hopefully!
Old 14th Jan 2021, 11:34 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Beardyman for the pictures, I don’t recall serving one of these, and it’s always useful to have the information at hand if the occasion arises.
John
Old 15th Jan 2021, 10:31 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This will absolutely ideal for 78s (and 45s) with its heavy 10" pressed steel platter and strong motor. The tone arm balancing will not need to be heavily weighted then. Flip-Under generic cartridges are great value at aound £11-00 and they have 1/2" mounts, ideal for that tone arm head. It has an auto-stop and you start the motor by pulling the tone-arm to the right.