UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2021, 11:30 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: ULTRA radiogram: which model?

Thanks Graham.

So I think we can safely say that this is an original, unmodified, Ultra Radio product, based on the ET4061 table radio.

While it seems that at least three examples of radios or radiograms using this chassis exist on the Continent, there's not been any trace of one over here online. So maybe it was an export-only model, though then it seems strange that the dial used the English terms "Short", "Medium" and "Long".

Are we certain that this "Ultra Radio" is the same company that we're familiar with over here? This site implies that they didn't really make any consumer sets during WW2 (Utility Sets excepted, presumably), and only got back into making them in 1947. So if it is the same company, maybe the date of the table set on Radiomuseum is wrong: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Ultra_Electric
Old 11th Jan 2021, 11:38 pm   #22
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
So maybe it was an export-only model, though then it seems strange that the dial used the English terms "Short", "Medium" and "Long".

Are we certain that this "Ultra Radio" is the same company that we're familiar with over here?
Looks like we're thinking along the same lines, although I do tend to think that there's things about that chassis that look similar to the chassis that I have here, so would have thought it would likely be the same company, but maybe not.
Old 11th Jan 2021, 11:43 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The Ultra T402 radio's chassis from November 1945 seems to be similar, so yes, certainly the same company, I'd say. Nice auction pics of one here, again in the Netherlands!
https://www.catawiki.com/l/22894893-...402-tube-radio

But would we have been exporting lavish radiograms to mainland Europe just a few weeks after the end of the War? Maybe we exported the bare chassis and record deck, and they were cased "locally"? The cabinet style of the radiogram does not look very postwar British to my eyes, whereas that of the table radio certainly does, almost home-made!

N.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 11th Jan 2021 at 11:50 pm.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 11:33 am   #24
HansNL1
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I've converted the linked images in posts #8 and #9 to thumbnails and tidied up the thread a bit.

Linked images to other websites are never a good idea. If the link breaks for some reason the thread is rendered useless for future readers.
Thanks for tidying up! I totally agree with you regarding your comment about linked websites

I had uploaded the images as indicated in the FAQ. I searched how to upload the images as thumbnails but I couldn't find that anywhere.Could you kindly let me know where this is described so I know this for next time?
Old 12th Jan 2021, 11:39 am   #25
Cobaltblue

Graham did an excellent guide here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th Jan 2021, 12:27 pm   #26
HansNL1
Triode

Quote:
The Ultra T402 radio's chassis from November 1945 seems to be similar, so yes, certainly the same company, I'd say. Nice auction pics of one here, again in the Netherlands!
https://www.catawiki.com/l/22894893-...402-tube-radio

But would we have been exporting lavish radiograms to mainland Europe just a few weeks after the end of the War? Maybe we exported the bare chassis and record deck, and they were cased "locally"? The cabinet style of the radiogram does not look very postwar British to my eyes, whereas that of the table radio certainly does, almost home-made!

N.
I would say it looks like both the Ultra ET4061 as well as the Ultra T402. I checked the chassis at the same location as the T402 to see if there is a type plate but unfortunately there is none. However, the other plate with the pick up / speaker input is identical to the T402 (see photo: is somewhat blurred because there is no space between the cabinet and the chassis): so I have no doubt that it is an Ultra. Big question then is whether the cabinet is pre or post war and where these were built if not from the UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chassis 'back'.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	224446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	224447  
Old 12th Jan 2021, 12:27 pm   #27
HansNL1
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Graham did an excellent guide here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650

Cheers

Mike T
Thanks!
Old 12th Jan 2021, 1:03 pm   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The pre-stereo speaker arrangement is redolent of a 1940s DECOLA. I still wonder if this is a genuine Ultra chassis (beautifully) re-housed?
Old 12th Jan 2021, 1:41 pm   #29
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Funny things happened in the 1940s.

There were pre-war cabinets in storage that got used up. And there were a very few, very rich customers who still wanted expensive, opulent cabinets, either in traditional style, or in the pre-war style to remind them of the "good old days". Most people had to make-do with very simple cabinets made from cheap wood though. The table radio which uses this chassis looks just as plain as the wartime Utility set.

We live in a house with a flat roof and steel windows with "horizontal" panes. Everyone assumes it's 1930s. But it was built in 1949/50. It looks like that partly because that was all the builder could get hold of at the time.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 12th Jan 2021 at 1:47 pm.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 1:44 pm   #30
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I still wonder if this is a genuine Ultra chassis (beautifully) re-housed?
Maybe, but if that's the case, then it must have been done professionally, as there appear to be at least two examples of this radiogram in existence.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 2:15 pm   #31
HansNL1
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The pre-stereo speaker arrangement is redolent of a 1940s DECOLA. I still wonder if this is a genuine Ultra chassis (beautifully) re-housed?
I compared the pictures on the internet link (post 1) with my own piece: they are (at the front) 100% identical (including location of screws, hinges etc).From the copy I found on internet, unfortunately I can't see the back side for better comparison. Only visible deviation on the front is the Ultra picture / logo (which differs from the Ultra logo I find on the internet) on the inside of the cover. I would never say it's impossible but based on that 100% resemblance and the way the units / electronics is built in, I can't imagine this is 'homebrew'.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 12:17 pm   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This must have been an export model.

Wood was heavily rationed shortly after WW2 and I don't think ULTRA would have obtained a Board of Trade licence to produce this extravagant radiogram for the home market.

A shame it is only a very basic short superhet in such a great cabinet. Very nice all the same. John.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 12:35 pm   #33
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good synopsis, John. Yes, a very basic radio dressed-up extravagantly. But all-original and a wonderful thing to own.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 12:56 pm   #34
ms660
Dekatron

I spy some blockboard.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 1:36 pm   #35
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...indicative of postwar shortage of solid timber and ply. Or did I misunderstand?

Not a "bad" product really: https://hanson-plywood.co.uk/products/blockboard/
Old 13th Jan 2021, 1:45 pm   #36
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
...indicative of postwar shortage of solid timber and ply. Or did I misunderstand?
It was me with my timbermans hat on, I tend to notice these things sometimes, going on further at least one of the blocks is softwood, possibly Pine looking at the summerwood.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 10:33 pm   #37
HansNL1
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Quote:
It was me with my timbermans hat on, I tend to notice these things sometimes, going on further at least one of the blocks is softwood, possibly Pine looking at the summerwood.

Lawrence.
It definitely uses a combination of soft wood, perhaps some hard(er) wood (the edges along the bottom and along the speaker panel), blockboard and veneer. The furniture is very nicely finished though except for the screws on the radio and pick up panel: that seems a bit amateurish when you look at the rest of the furniture
Old 13th Jan 2021, 10:42 pm   #38
HansNL1
Triode

Quote:
Good synopsis, John. Yes, a very basic radio dressed-up extravagantly. But all-original and a wonderful thing to own.
And still no idea where the radiogram comes from... Today I sent an email through the auction site to the seller of the other cabinet in the hope that he knew something more about the origin / history of the radiogram but unfortunately he did not know where it came from either.
I think I'm going to post some questions on Dutch forums. Maybe this will yield something considering the radiogram seems to be built for the continental market.
Closed Thread