UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2023, 10:39 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default What the Dickens is this?

Given to me by a friend today, an old, small, wind-up gramophone fitted with a BTH (British Thompson-Houston) electric pickup.

At first I thought the electric pickup was a retro-fit, but I’m not sure. The ‘volume control’ and red & black sockets look decidedly modern. There is no turntable. It looks a bit like one of those miniature “Peter Pan” gramophones with a detachable four-spoked ‘turntable’ which dismantles for storage, however the brake lever is in an odd position and appears designed to bear on the rim of a more conventional turntable.

I am a bit stumped. If anyone recognises it, or parts of it, I’d appreciate some more info! Many thanks,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7312.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	280751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7314.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	280752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7315.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	280753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7316.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	280754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7317.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	280755  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 3rd Jul 2023 at 10:44 pm. Reason: Info added
Old 4th Jul 2023, 9:29 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: What the Dickens is this?

It WAS a "Peter Pan", but has been severely messed about! The original arm has been replaced, the folding horn taken out of the lid, and the volume control and sockets added to the motor board. Why that brake has been added we will never know, maybe because another turntable was used? I presume the motor is the original?

Barry
Old 4th Jul 2023, 9:56 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Hello Barry,

Many thanks for that. Yes, it does appear to have been what we should properly term “b*stardised”. The motor is most likely the original, it does run but very noisily. I think this one is beyond restoration, as I doubt I’ll find another Peter Pan to yield the required missing parts. It’s probably only fit for cannibalisation now.

Any idea which Peter Pan model it started out as, Barry? I have been unable as yet to find a picture of anything similar online, all the Peter Pan models I’ve seen have a much shorter case which hinges right open.

Old 4th Jul 2023, 5:29 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Having looked at dozens of picture of the various "Peter Pan" machines, I can't find one with the winding handle escutcheon in the same place it is on yours, which makes me wonder if it's not a different make altogether, which would make it even harder to get replacement parts! I cant understand why yours does not fold flat, though. It would have to to enable the fitting of the original arm. Have the hinges been replaced? All this a bit academic really though, because as you say, it's all a bit too far gone to be a viable restoration.

Barry
Old 4th Jul 2023, 5:33 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks for trying, Barry. Next thing is to take it apart and see if there’s any other evidence of a maker or model.

Closed Thread