UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2020, 1:34 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default British Drawing Lettering now Available!

Hi!

I've just had an email from Chris Flippard giving me his permission to upload my British Drawing Uno Stencil Fonts, so please find 'em attached with a note on ther usage included in the zip file!

a) The 'BA' font is Architectural Style Lettering, used by Reddifusion/Doric on their TV Service Manuals, and Scopex Manuals;

b) The 'BC' font is that used on 'Wireless World' diagrams from 1944 to 1968 and a number of T & M OEMs, e.g. Cossor, EMI, Earlier Marconi, used them as standard on their circuit diagrams!

Also used by Bush/Murphy as standard from 1960–1970 and by Thorn as Component Values.

c) The 'BS' font is the Sloping Lettering used by Practical Wireless and Practical Television magazines from 1948 to 1961, and used by Thorn/BRC for PCB terminal connections and Test Point and Voltage Readings.

d) The 'BU' font is the standard "Radio and Electronics Constructor' diagram font, also used by the RSGB from 1950 to 1970 on all their drawings.

e) The 'BS 3693' font is an authentic representation of the lettering used by British Manufacturers on Meter Scales and Front Panels, etc., and works with the "Meter" software from Tonne Software!

These fonts work fine in Word, Excel, Graph applications, and any CAD/EDA tool able to support TTF font files!

Please enjoy using them in diagram work as much as I did!

Chris Williams
Attached Files
File Type: zip UNO Stencil Alphabets.zip (324.1 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by Chris55000; 25th Mar 2020 at 1:42 pm.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 1:55 pm   #2
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: British Drawing Lettering now Available!

Thank you very much, Chris! This is terribly kind of you!
Old 25th Mar 2020, 2:36 pm   #3
cmjones01
Nonode

Those are beautiful, and I shall enjoy using them. Thank you for uploading them.

Chris
Old 25th Mar 2020, 3:18 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Don't forget that these heritage styles of lettering were as much a part of the British way of design and manufacture as well as the actual products themselves, and I think we all should take a hat off to Chris Flippard who has done such a superb job of re-creating them for PC use and giving me permission to make them available for everyone's use!

(I sent him a Christmas Card, Thank-You Card & a donation for his favourite charity!)

There's no excuse for "Arial", "Tahoma", or "Times New Roman" on circuit or other diagrams now, everyone on here can now pick a British Manufacturer's Style which suits them most!

I am working on a slightly revised form of these fonts with a top tail on the figure "1" (to distinguish "1" from Capital "I") which I'll upload when I've found enough magazine samples of them to cover all five typefaces!

Chris Williams

PS!

Model Railway Enthusiasts can use the "BS 3693" font on Reproduction Signal Box Diagrams - this is what B.R. used at the time!

Last edited by Chris55000; 25th Mar 2020 at 3:27 pm.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 6:45 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Many thanks for that, Chris: appreciated.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 7:55 pm   #6
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

As if I didn't need an excuse to swell my fonts folder...

Brilliant work, and many thanks!
Old 25th Mar 2020, 9:18 pm   #7
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Thank you!
Old 25th Mar 2020, 9:29 pm   #8
ajgriff
Nonode

This is an extraordinary piece of work. Many thanks to both of you for sharing the results of your efforts.

Alan
Old 25th Mar 2020, 10:27 pm   #9
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

For those Members who have Rigonda's Products, I will attempt (emphasis on the attempt!) to see if I can extend these fonts to include Cyrillic Characters for Russian Valve & Semiconductor types, but this is a future project when my spare time permits!

Chris Williams
Old 25th Mar 2020, 10:29 pm   #10
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Excellent, thank you, Chris. I do quite a lot of working drawings in MS Visio and your fonts work perfectly, as you'd expect. I'm too cheap to buy MS Office, so I use the freebie equivalent, Apache Open Office; again your fonts work perfectly well.
Closed Thread