UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2020, 10:35 pm   #1
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Identifying transformer maker from logo

I have a mental blank on this, I am sure I knew the name of the company that made this choke... Allied something? Google and Grace's guide are not helping and I'm not near my study.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Choke logo.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	201858  
Old 30th Mar 2020, 11:46 pm   #2
trobbins
Heptode

Default Re: Identifying transformer maker from logo

Perhaps Automatic Electric Europe, they go back a long way ?
Old 31st Mar 2020, 8:47 am   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

My interpretation of the logo is AEC ltd.
If you take the middle letter to be an E which uses the horizontal line of the A as part of an E, then the lower symbol is not the same - the center line, if it's an E, is shorter and offset upwards. That's why I think it's a C.
What has the transformer come from? Any clue there?
Old 31st Mar 2020, 10:09 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's unlikely to be American Electric Components 'cos it's Ltd not Inc.

Maybe Associated Equipment Company (of Bus and Lorry fame) produced odd stuff during WW2?

There is an AEC Power Control outfit in Scotland, but that sounds too recent.

Maybe it was just a custom wind for AEC (of Bus and Lorry fame)?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 31st Mar 2020, 4:15 pm   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

99.9% certainly British made, for a London-based OEM who built their own amplifier chassis into their musical instruments. I think I have examples from about 1948 to 1965, with a total production over that period on the order of 3000 units. The mains TX, chokes, O/P TX were all from the same maker.
Old 31st Mar 2020, 7:14 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

It does look to be a really nicely made transformer.

David
Old 31st Mar 2020, 7:47 pm   #7
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

They do seem pretty robust. The OP's ought to be HiFi but I've never actually had cause to measure them. Any limitations at the top end are usually vastly overshadowed by limitations elsewhere; the full power needs to go all the way down and then some, so you don't get a lot of watts per lb. The amps they were used on were variously actual triodes, triode-strapped pentodes, pentodes with regulated G2 volts and ~40% UL.
More examples (I don't like to show these things off too much for reasons that should be apparent)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Another choke.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	201929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two OPs.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	201930  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:01 am   #8
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Could it be anything to do with Albion? I don't think so, but worth the remark that later amplifiers from the same maker all had Albion wound components. Recognisable by their paper labels, the construction is much more run of the mill, not fully vac impregnated and with captive leads emerging from galvanised shrouds. Searching for a possible relationship between 'AEC' and Albion is hampered by the motor vehicle firms of the same names.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 8:17 am   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Some more possibilities:

Associated Electronic Engineers Ltd – sound systems equipment branded Astronic made by Associated Electronic Engineers Ltd, Dalston Gardens, Stanmore, Middx (in 1948 & 69). In 1971, they also made audio and power transformers.

ACE – Associated Cine Equipment Ltd, 353 Bexley Road, Erith, Kent (in 1952). Maker of ACE tape recorder.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 10:20 am   #10
ms660
Dekatron

Able Engineering Co. Ltd. Singer Street, EC2. ?

Were into transformers apparently.

?

Lawrence.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 10:45 am   #11
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I think you've got it. Associated Electronic Engineers, so AEE not AEC.
Ths ad touts the advantages of their distinctive and sturdy frame construction which is present on all the transformers in question:
AEE transformer ad in Grace's Guide
I can't immediately find pics of similar transformers elsewhere, although at least one Astronic amplifier has transformers (of a more basic construction) dipped in varnish of identical appearance.

The location is also promising, about 6 miles from where the amplifier was made. The factory was well equipped and moderately self-sufficient, however when they did use subcontractors they seem to have favoured local firms, so AEC fits the bill.

I'm mainly interested to discover to what level of detail they were specified by the OEM and whether they were used in any other products. From the labelling they are fully custom items and many of the mains transformers have application-specific taps and windings. However, considering the popularity of the M-O output tetrodes of the day, it would seem to have been needless to specify a custom OPTX, apart perhaps from the extended low frequency performance.

Thanks to all who have contributed; if anyone has any more info on AEE's wound products or pics of similar examples they would be very interesting to compare.
Closed Thread