UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 29th Mar 2020, 7:30 am   #221
John Earland
Hexode

Default Re: Zx81

I think the flight simulator one is in the cassette I have-it’s an old cassette with a tiny insert explaining all the games. I’m amazed how speedy the Asteroids game plays. Was a little confused at first when the starship kept changing from 0 to other numbers as you turn the craft around to fire at the incoming asteroids! Thought something was wrong!
John Earland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2020, 10:43 am   #222
John Earland
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
As previously mentioned, you should also try '3D Monster Maze'. Genuinely nail-biting, but it will make you curse that rather insensitive keyboard whenever it fails to translate your lightning reactions into actual actions.

As far as the cassette loading is concerned, basically the way to tell if you have the volume set correctly is: The black and white lines you see on the screen during loading should be approximately the same width as each other. If the black lines are much thinner and spindlier than the white ones, the volume is not high enough.
Canít seem to find 3D Monster Maze anywhere.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 11:17 am   #223
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Not sure whether you mean you can't find an original tape for sale - it's probably the one that people are least likely to sell, but from what you have written earlier you may already have some material found in .TZX or .P file format so I assume you have a way of converting those to audio playback format.

Have a look around on this site, where there is a lot of useful archived material including books, various utilities, and other things.

http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/

For example, here:-

http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/tape/3DMonsterMaze(NGS)

I personally also had great fun with 'Seawolf', which is a kind of early forerunner of 'Silent Service', the submarine simulation.

http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/tape/SeaWolf(Newer)

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 29th Mar 2020 at 11:41 am.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2020, 11:27 am   #224
John Earland
Hexode

That’s great-thank you. No I don’t have any conversion software yet-will search for some. What I need is something to give me a simple wav format. I have some software to do that for the PET but can’t get it to work on Windows 7 even though it said it would run. I’ll keep searching!
Old 29th Mar 2020, 11:40 am   #225
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

There is a utility to convert .P and .TZX files to audio files on the site I linked to in #223.

http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/tap.../overview.html
Old 29th Mar 2020, 8:57 pm   #226
John Earland
Hexode

Thank you for this-Ill check it out.��
Old 29th Mar 2020, 9:07 pm   #227
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

If you see anything you think might be interested on that site, have a go at it by pressing the 'play' button on the page for the software title concerned and you can test drive it using the website's built-in full speed online emulator. All very nicely done.

I'm fairly sure I have that converter software installed on one of my XP machines so if you have trouble getting it to work let me know via PM which ones you want and I'll have a go at converting them for you.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 9:24 pm   #228
John Earland
Hexode

Thank you! I’ll take a look.