UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2020, 1:33 am   #1
Sabojh96
Diode

Default Marconiphone 4028

Hi all.

I have a Marconiphone 4028 record player with a BSR deck which I had serviced last year. (All the old grease had dried up making it run slow and controls getting stuck). The only slight issue I have with it is that when playing 45's or getting towards the last track of an LP there seems to be some distortion and loss of high/mid frequencies resulting in it sounding slightly muddy. It’s not completely unbearable but somewhat annoying as it wasn’t like this before the service. I’m guessing the stylus pressure is too high? Wondering if someone would be able to help me adjust it or any other suggestions as to what it might be. I’ve attached a pic of the player.

Thanks, Sabian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	201665  
Old 27th Mar 2020, 9:27 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconiphone 4028

I asume the stylus is good and not worn or damaged? The service sheet states a C1 cartridge and ST3 stylus but these could have been changed in the last 50 years.
Have you anything to check the stylus pressure with?
Old 27th Mar 2020, 10:21 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It sounds like there may still be some lateral drag on the tone arm causing poor tracking. There is no bias/anti-skate adjustment on this deck, so it may be worth just checking for any under-motor-board fouling or to see if the cartridge wiring is not bunching up.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 1:51 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Distortion at the end of a side suggests that the slider and trip pawl may not be totally free and are dragging on the arm, likely down to more hardened grease you may have missed.
Remove the cam below the platter, and check everything. See that the ball bearing is present on the slider actuator.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 11:42 pm   #5
Sabojh96
Diode

Thanks everyone. I did manage to adjust the stylus pressure which made a slight improvement and I have a new stylus on the way. Failing that, Ben would you be able to upload a picture of which part I need to be looking at please as I’m a bit of a novice at this. Thanks. Sabian.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 7:23 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A new stylus is no bad thing, but is unlikely to resolve the problem. A bit of mechanical invervention will be needed. Have you been able to remove the platter yet?
Old 8th Apr 2020, 11:11 am   #7
Sabojh96
Diode

Thanks everyone. Managed to get a new stylus, and adjust the tracking weight and it’s made a huge difference, sounds fantastic. So much clearer and no distortion! The old stylus must have been seriously worn out. Glad it was a simple fix. Thanks again guys.
Closed Thread