UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2020, 8:30 pm   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Grundig C480 cassette record din socket

I have a C480 and am struggling to know what the 7 pin din on the side connections are. I’m hoping for line level out. Or is this just for stereo microphone in. Can anyone advise please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3D075CDD-BD90-45FF-B2FD-6A57CC7854B3.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	202010  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 9:41 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig C480 cassette record din socket

Hello Terry,

German Service manual is attached, only one I can easily find.

Second to last page shows the C 480 electrical schematic.

Pins 1 and 4 as usual are the 2 stereo inputs. Pins 3 & 5 as usual are the 2 stereo high impedance outputs, with pin 2 as usual being 0V/ground.

Unsure about pin 8, sometimes on multi pin DIN for microphones it is the Electret microphone supply voltage.

Also not sure about pin 7, maybe Remote Motor Stop/Pause.

Shame it has only got internal mono output.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Grundig C_450_460_480 Service Manual.pdf (2.15 MB, 326 views)
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:12 am   #3
terrybull
Octode

Thank you David. That helps.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 4:55 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

Pin 7 is connected, through a contact in the play/record (or wiedergabe / aufnahme ) switch, to the base of an NPN transistor which switches the motor; there is a pull-up resistor so this transistor is normally turned on. Pin 6 is grounded.

It looks as though applying a short from pin 6 to pin 7 while the machine is in record mode would stop the motor without affecting the electronics, so this is probably for a remote switch on the mic.

Pin 8 seems to be connected to supply + to power an electret mic.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 5:10 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, i would echo what others have said about the DIN socket connections however - This looks like a Mono machine from the circuit provided (unless I have missed something) the DIN socket is wired similarly to some ITT/KB models I have encountered.

Pin 2, as always is ground
Pin 1 is low level input, for an external microphone or other equipment producing signal levels to DIN standard so around 1mV to 5mV in to 47K
Pin 4 is not connected(?)
Pins 5 and 3 are line level output to an external amplifier on PLAYBACK only, this signal will be in the order of 500mV to 1.5V into around 100K or more
Pins 5 and 3 may also accept line level inputs during record however I haven't looked that closely at the circuit.
Pin 6 is also ground and tied to pin 2 (see later)
Pin 7 will be some kind of motor stop/start signal; the simplest way of doing this would be to have a switch, in series with the motor supply, which is operated by insertion of the Microphone DIN plug, I don't think that your machine uses this technique though despite having a switched socket shown on the diagram.
Pin 8 is most likely for an external DC power supply in conjunction with pin 6

Regards

Andrew
Old 4th Apr 2020, 5:49 pm   #6
terrybull
Octode

Thanks for the further info both Julie m and Andrew. I am transcribing some interviews I made 40 odd years ago using a basic Phillips cassette recorder. In the absence of a proper dictation player that rewinds a second or 2 on pause I’m putting these on the computer and playing back with VLC. I do have a stereo cassette deck somewhere but this Grundig is a well made unit and is more convenient. I just need line level out to direct connect to the computer as using a microphone connected to the laptop to record the cassette speaker is a little crude.
I agree with a Andrew that although this is emblazoned ‘stereo automatic’ there seems no evidence of how this is stereo.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 5:58 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Looking at the service manual it appears that the C450 and C460 are mono machines but that the C480 does have 2 channels of record/playback amplifiers (alhough only one intenral speaker and power amplfiier) and thus is a stereo machine.

Another thing.... Some time ago I bought a load of 'tape recorder microphones' mainly to get a Philips one I wanted (and also the right one for a little Sanyo portable reel-to-reel machine). Amongst them was one with a remote control switch on the body with a cable ending in a 7 pin DIN plug with a much longer than normal metal casing round the pins. I wonder if that was to operate a switch in a machine such as this one (to allow the remote switch to work) while a normal DIN plug put in the socket wouldn't. so you could use normal audio cables for record/playback.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 11:07 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes the C480 is one of those strange machines with stereo inputs/outputs but only a mono output power amp stage, rationale behind this is unknown to me.

I am sure pin 4 is used for right channel low level record input. Agree about pins 3 & 5 can also be high level inputs on record.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 11:51 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

I don't know how large the stereo version is, but perhaps it isn't big enough to space two speakers far enough apart to get an adequate stereo effect. I have a Sony radio with a single speaker and a stereo headphone socket, and a Philips stereo cassette deck with line, mic, and headphone sockets, bu no internal speaker.
Old 5th Apr 2020, 11:58 am   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

The reel-to-reel Uher 4200/4400 machines were stereo recorders but only had a single speaker for mono playback. For a machine intended primarily as a field recorder, this was less of a limitation; the actual intended playback would be on a stereo machine in a studio, and it's more important just to know you have actually captured something; the two meter needles behaving differently are your clue that it's two distinct channels of sound.
Old 5th Apr 2020, 2:38 pm   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Uher carried that idea on into cassette recorders. My CR210 is a fully stereo machine but with just one internal speaker. It does have 2 power amplifiers though so can drive a pair of speakers or stereo headphones.

And of course some Revox reel-to-reel machines like my G36 have only a single internal power amplifier/speaker. Fully stereo up to that point though.
Old 5th Apr 2020, 3:43 pm   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
I don't know how large the stereo version is, but perhaps it isn't big enough to space two speakers far enough apart to get an adequate stereo effect. I have a Sony radio with a single speaker and a stereo headphone socket, and a Philips stereo cassette deck with line, mic, and headphone sockets, bu no internal speaker.
I do not know if that would be the reason, one could argue that most if not all stereo music machines with fitted internal stereo speakers, that they would not be far enough apart to give a proper stereo soundstage image, although still providing good sound.

Also maybe a consideration of achieving good sound without increasing the unit size, i.e. mono sound through a good size speaker may sound better than stereo from 2 smaller speakers.

It could also be done for cost considerations and practical consideration of keeping the size compact. I think there are some larger examples such as the older Grundig Reel to Reel TK 55.
Closed Thread