UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2011, 12:50 pm   #21
tedzed1
Hexode

Default Re: Murphy A4, A Radio Too Far?

Thanks for the further suggestions and comments everyone,

Paul, thanks for the possibility of a make for the unknown woodie, I think I need to do some more digging about this one.

Andrew, the horizontal bars on the front face, they look like stain or toner, as they are flush and not raised.

Mark, I think I am going to tackle the electronics first, then I will have to decide on the cabinet when I dis-assemble it, but it does not look promising, at least it is all flat panels, the only pieces with corners are the top ones on ether side, and they look reusable, so I think apart from them, it means a total new cabinet.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:32 am   #22
JoshWard
Octode

That's a beautiful looking set and will be well worth the effort. You will also be able to learn a lot too
The Pye is indeed an MP/40. Got one here on the to do pile in a similar state (although I haven't seen it in over a year now... it's somewhere near the bottom ).

Josh.
Old 28th May 2014, 11:32 am   #23
hansomcommon
Pentode

Hi tedzed1, did you manage to save your Murphy A4 please? The valves look original & the thing could work so well!
Old 28th May 2014, 12:08 pm   #24
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

At least the most important bit of the A4 is still there - the three-cornered star! We have one of these sets at the museum, and its star is missing.

My own instincts would initially be to try to salvage the front, base, top and the right hand side of the cabinet, and make a new left side. However I would worry that live woodworm may still be lurking, dormant, just waiting to wake up shortly after you've finished all the hard work and start munching away from the inside, which would really spoil your day. So possibly a complete new cabinet is the best way to go, although it's a lot of work... more power to your elbow!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 28th May 2014, 8:14 pm   #25
SurreyNick
Heptode

There's one for sale on ebay right now. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vinta...item3ce1eed650
Might be worth a look.
As far as value is concerned, two others have sold on ebay in the last year. They went for £19.99 and £22.60 respectively. It's going to cost a lot more than that to do a proper cabinet refurb, so do it for love, not for value.

Last edited by SurreyNick; 28th May 2014 at 8:17 pm. Reason: Addition
Old 29th May 2014, 7:47 am   #26
SurreyNick
Heptode

Paul
If you look really closely I think you will find that the three horizontal bands on the cabinet front are inlaid veneer lines, probably rosewood, but could even be stained box wood. It's difficult to tell. The main veneer is walnut.
Closed Thread