UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2009, 1:55 pm   #21
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips 634A 'speaker rattle.

When I've done everything but throw the kitchen sink at a radio, and it still won't behave, I draw a line in the sand and sell the thing. Mind you I've only done this once. Two cars can roll off a production line, one after the other, yet one could go 60,000 miles before encountering problems, whilst the other could be in and out of the mechanics from day one. I think its the same with radios. You just got to be lucky most of the time amd hope the one you buy won't make you . Luck of the auction I suppose. If it were me with this Philips I'd off-load it and get another, or the other way round. Then I'd have a
Old 16th Dec 2009, 7:47 pm   #22
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

No i dont this I will be off loading it just yet. cost quite a bit and its a craker of a Wireless ,cabinet and chassis in good nik . I suspect there is a fault somwhere that needs tweeking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips63497.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	31096  
Old 16th Dec 2009, 10:56 pm   #23
Ian B
Hexode

The volume control is probably a special Philips wire wound effort. Pots of this kind (not just Philips) in my experience often wear in one area corresponding to the normal listening level. This often leads to a break in the winding, but careful fiddling with the control can make the wiper bridge the break - until it's disturbed again. Sometimes it's possible to repair by replacing the resistance winding with one from another pot of similar value.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 16th Dec 2009, 11:04 pm   #24
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I wondered if it was the pot itself , but not sure ,it could be a combo of things , would this explain it being very quiet below the problem area ?
On my HMV 907 there was a problem with the vol pot that as you say was in a certain area , just where i wanted to put the volume !! obviously so did eveyone previously , though its much improved after switch cleaner and plenty of use . With the philips it not noisey though , just the volume hardly increases most of the way then jumps into overloading
Old 17th Dec 2009, 12:11 am   #25
PJL
Dekatron

This set uses the rare SD4 valve so does have a diode detector. It has a 'normal' volume control but typical Phillips idiosyncracies with a bizarre bias arrangement.

After that I would do a few checks with your meter, HT volts, SD4 anode volts, anode current of the PM24A which you will have to break the circuit to measure. PM24A's don't seem that reliable and a few I have are low emission or have grid leak problems.
Old 18th Dec 2009, 2:24 pm   #26
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I may get time over christmas to look at it but i recon othet stuff will take presidence.

Does anyone have a pic of what the pull out station card looked like ? Missing on mine but i assume it was slotted into the rarther substantial rebates undernieth
Closed Thread