UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2008, 2:39 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Repro AD65, earthing point or not?

If it's an AC/DC radio, the chassis will be connected to mains neutral (hopefully!) which is connected to Earth at the substation, and -- if you live in a town -- again in your house where the cable comes up from the street.
Old 7th Jul 2008, 2:55 pm   #22
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie99 View Post
Hi Guys

The two wander sockets mentioned are both aerial sockets. One VHF, one MW. The other wires to the back board are for the quarter inch headphone socket I asked to be added.

Cheers
'Headphone socket'? This can't possibly be a live chassis!
Old 7th Jul 2008, 4:14 pm   #23
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilley View Post
'Headphone socket'? This can't possibly be a live chassis!
Oh yes it can, because a loudspeaker (or headphones) is almost invariably coupled to the anode of the output pentode through a transformer; and, unless you are trying to build a really hi-fi amp -- by which I mean rather higher "fi" than medium- or long-wave radio could aspire to -- there is no need to take negative feedback from the far side of the transformer. (I do actually have an amplifier that is built that way; but I also happen to know that both its HT and LT supplies are derived from a transformer.) So the connection to the speaker / 'phones will not be live.
Old 7th Jul 2008, 4:36 pm   #24
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Oh yes it can, because a loudspeaker (or headphones) is almost invariably coupled to the anode of the output pentode through a transformer
You'd trust the insulation on a loudspeaker transformer alone to keep the mains from direct contact with your head? You are a braver man than me!
Old 7th Jul 2008, 6:04 pm   #25
Steve_P
Dekatron

I agree. How do you know the mains hasn't developed a fault! Happens....

There was a guy in a US prison who tried to wire headphones to a mains radio while sat on a matal bog. That's where they found him - DEAD!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th Jul 2008, 5:59 pm   #26
Ian B
Hexode

I have one of Gerry's repros too, I'm sure it has a mains transformer. There's a separate transformer under the chassis to supply the vhf tuner board which has its own separate power supply. However, the tuner board on mine is also under the chassis - I guess different batches were modified in the light of experience building them.

Ian Blackbourn
Closed Thread