UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2017, 9:14 pm   #21
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: New to vintage radios, need a wee bit of help.

Dohh.. Indeed, but just trying to ensure that the incorrect use of a word (especially a noun) does not lead to it henceforth being used as the 'proper' word to describe something that it is isn't.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 9:21 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The original comment was to solder the twin feeder to a pair of 'split pins (cotters)'

Which I take to mean :
Go to a mechanical engineering supplier (or in my case to the right shelf in the garage) and get a packet of cotter pins/split pins

Take 2 of them.

Solder the ends of the aerial cable to the pins

Put said pins (suitable opened out) into the sockets on the radio.

They are now no longer used as cotter pins.

Next you'll be telling me that it is wrong to suggest using the shank of a twist drill bit as a former to wind an air-cored coil on, as when you're doing that it is not the shank of a twist drill, the tool is not being used to make a hole...
Old 12th Mar 2017, 9:48 pm   #23
Station X

A cotter (pin) is a generic term for a device used to hold two parts together, for example a wheel to an axle. It can take many forms of which a split pin is just one. Other examples are the tapered pins which hold bicycle cranks to the shaft to which the chain wheel is fixed, roll pins and wedges.

To my mind the words split pin admirably describe the object which most people recognise as a split pin.

I'll grant you though that I have a tin of split pins in my workshop and the manufactur's label on it says "Cotter Pins".

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 10:15 pm   #24
Vakito227
Hexode

Anyway anyway, correct and incorrect use of words aside, I have a small box full of the things all different sizes left over as surplus from working on classic cars so I should be okay!
Old 13th Mar 2017, 12:16 am   #25
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

A cottor pin does not need to be split. Bicycle pedals are locked to the shaft with knocked in cottor pins and then fitted with a nut for security. Look at locomotive valve gear.

Looking at e-bay I see that many split pins are made from stainless steel. You do not want these, they would be difficult or impossible to solder.

Some wander plugs use split pins with two plastic rings, screwed together to jam the wire into the loop. They are horrible. Solder the wire and if you want to be posh, cover the junction with heat shrink sleeving
Old 13th Mar 2017, 8:19 pm   #26
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Vakito, more boxes of spares and other goodies will we found at the Golbourne BWVS meeting on the 9th April, just along the A580 from you.

Ed
Closed Thread