UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2016, 3:29 pm   #21
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Typical speaker for 1931 Marconi 246?

Here's one, but it was probably intended for high power use, such as cinemas: http://www.lowthervoigtmuseum.org.uk/voigtdrivers.html
Old 19th Jun 2016, 4:45 pm   #22
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
Mystery solved, DC mains not AC mains
Yes, that will work!

I've not seen (even on "paper") a domestic external speaker using a field coil. I'd imagine the magnet would be cheaper. The Field coil / Electrodynamic / Energised speaker existed on mains powered sets as you replaced an expensive magnet with a cheap coil. The power supply was already there, "free". As a bonus you could save on an HT choke. None of that applies for an extension speaker, they would have used the drive units made for battery sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Here's one, but it was probably intended for high power use, such as cinemas
Again, "mains energised" is a bit misleading. It used DC, so AC mains required a PSU.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 4:58 pm   #23
ms660
Dekatron

I haven't found one either, trawled loudspeakers on Radiomuseum from 1925 to 1935, the only advantage I can think of would be that a dedicated rectifier PSU could provide more field coil current than the usual "in the receiver" set up could.

Lawrence.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 6:32 pm   #24
ms660
Dekatron

Seems to be a few field coil loudspeakers (not in cabinets) with on board rectifiers made over the pond, one uses a Jensen M60 loudspeaker which has a handle fitted to it...transportable.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 19th Jun 2016 at 6:42 pm. Reason: correction
Old 19th Jun 2016, 11:58 pm   #25
AC/HL
Dekatron

I think the DC is assumed, AC obviously won't work. The early ones were a stop gap until more powerful magnets were developed. The sort we are familiar with were also a later development, but the "mains" prefix survived. Even now you see that, where the correct term is just "Energised". One illustration here refers to twin rectifiers (obviously American) and the other lists the field coil voltages of the Voigt speaker. Neither are domestic models though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	126279   Click image for larger version

Name:	oxford2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	126280  
Old 20th Jun 2016, 8:19 am   #26
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I think the DC is assumed, AC obviously won't work. The early ones were a stop gap until more powerful magnets were developed.
Cost too, the magnets had to be cheaper than a coil.
Closed Thread