UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2018, 4:48 pm   #21
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Re: Philips BG500A nearly working again.

Latest problem. I want to know what kind of reception I should get from the internal aerial in this set. On mine it is poor; only two stations on MW, weak R4 and nil on SW. It is not described in the Trader Sheet which is for the earlier model 400A which has no internal aerial. The long wire aerial is still working well.

Also, where would the internal be connected? In the same place as the external? It came to me with the feed disconnected and rolled up out of the way. Hence my question.

Last edited by Pete_kaye; 24th Jan 2018 at 4:55 pm.
Old 24th Jan 2018, 8:18 pm   #22
crackle
Rest in Peace

If you are using the manufacturers 500A service information then the plate aerial is labelled on the circuit diagram as a "capacity aerial" and yes it connects to the normal aerial socket.

Mike
Old 24th Jan 2018, 8:27 pm   #23
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_kaye View Post
I used that technique to extract contents and tried leaving it in hot water for 10mins but the main part would not respond to a corkscrew well inserted in the centre .In fact the corkscrew broke off inside the goo. Still it was 60 + years inside!
Leaving it in hot water whilst cut open was probably a mistake, it would tend to soften and swell the contents of the electrolytic. A heat gun would be a better option, and as mentioned already a large and long wood screw (no. 12 x 3 inches), screwed into the centre and then pull.
Mike
Old 25th Jan 2018, 9:37 am   #24
Sideband
Dekatron

Different people have other ideas but personally I don't like squirting switch cleaner into valve bases. A better method (I think) is to clean the valve pins with a wire brush and then spray the pins sparingly with switch cleaner. This always seems to give better results.

Those black tar capacitors are really no better than the old waxy Hunts type and will require replacement. Only a very slight leakage will upset the AGC rail.

The internal aerial is only any good for local station reception....and there are fewer of these on MW now so only the very strongest stations will be heard......basically you'll need a decent aerial. However replacement of the capacitors as mentioned above may make a vast improvement since the AGC will then work properly.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 5:08 pm   #25
Pete_kaye
Octode

Strangely , set now working perfectly with excellent sound.. I found the reception on internal aerial much better than before once refitted . Not sure why. Even some SW in evenings. External AE improves everything . Only the EM34 is a disappointment, but after 65 years , I cannot complain.
Replacing the knobs was very slow as the tiny grub screws were worn.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 7:21 pm   #26
Pete_kaye
Octode

Around 0600 today I was listening to what sounded like sea waves on 6035KHz (checked on a modern set). It cut out at 0627. It is listed as Radio Bhutan some 7000kms away . What was I hearing?
Closed Thread