UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 16th Dec 2023, 6:12 pm   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Tektronix 2445 'feet'

This might be a common problem. The rubber 'feet' have perished and bits have started crumbling off. Does anyone have any spares, or have a replacement strategy if they're just a perishable item? I guess I could try casting new ones if I can stick the old ones back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231216_170959.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	289833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231216_171012.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	289834  
Uncle Bulgaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2023, 7:08 pm   #2
Alan Bain
Pentode

Default Re: Tektronix 2445 'feet'

This is a common problem. Qservice used to sell them (tek part 348-0729-00) but they ran out.

I believe some 3D models have been made e.g. https://www.printables.com/model/166...ot-348-0729-00 but I don't have any of the right sort of equipment to use these as I'm more of a Hardinge HLV-H person than 3D printer.
Alan Bain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2023, 7:50 pm   #3
factory
Octode

They all seem to fall apart once they get to a certain age, the older HP & Tek scopes are often missing the feet for this reason, the 24xx series are now getting old enough where they also disintegrate too.

If your 2445 still has the original electrolytics in the PSU, I would recommend replacing them, they can cause extensive damage to parts & custom hybrids if the PSU fails, due to conductive electrolyte escaping.

David
factory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2023, 7:01 pm   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thank you both. The 3D printed option looks very intriguing. It shows what a widespread problem this must be! I'll see if there's anyone local who can do this.

factory - you advised me on the capacitors a couple of years ago when I got it (the feet were on the edge then, but are now pretty disintegrated), so I did replace the power board ones then along with the already-blown paper RIFAs and associated 68R resistor (with a new flameproof type). I hope they're all still OK!
Old 18th Dec 2023, 9:21 pm   #5
factory
Octode

I've asked a question on the eevblog forum about the 3dp file, as it may need a little tapering adding to the fixing hole sections, the creator is a member there.

The new caps should be good for the next 20 years, the leaky ones are from the late 80s & 90s, a common problem with various brands of capacitor.

David
Old 18th Jan 2024, 8:39 pm   #6
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Did anything further come of your EEVBlog query about the file, factory?
Old 18th Jan 2024, 8:52 pm   #7
factory
Octode

There has been too much going on at the same time here, I was intending to measure the tapered section, but it hasn't happened yet. Terra Operative is happy to make a revision to his design;
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...98/#msg5229798

Mods, please move this to another forum section, if this discussion is not allowed here.

David
Old 28th Jan 2024, 2:31 pm   #8
factory
Octode

Pictures of the tapering added to the eevblog thread here; https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index....398#msg5303398

David
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 3:03 pm   #9
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

There is a new 3D print file 'remixed' from the original taperless version here.

Does anyone have a 3D printer with the capability to print TPU, as the original creator suggests this is a suitable material for a slightly flexible result? I would be glad to see whether we could come to an arrangement, if so.