UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2010, 7:43 pm   #41
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Valve boxes - bulk order?

Howard, could you please pay Jeremy directly at Harpenden. We'll be a bit short handed at the B&B so handling brown envelopes stuffed with used notes won't be very convenient.
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 8:14 pm   #42
Pamphonica
Nonode

Howard, PM me your phone no and we can RV to exchange boxes and cash. Jeff is usually flat out dealing with the B&B stuff.
thanks
Old 25th Feb 2010, 12:34 am   #43
Pamphonica
Nonode

The box arrived here today and the contents are in perfect shape. We had to pay VAT but that had been accounted for already in predicted prices, so they are as expected.

All on this order have now received a PM: Grimjosef, Stephen, Hermit, McMurdo, Jim, OldTT, Howard and Phil. Amounts due are detailed as are payment methods. Remember I will be at Harpenden or available for collection from home if you want to avoid postage. Postage rates are included in the PM.

I await your payments!

All the best
Old 25th Feb 2010, 12:53 pm   #44
jim_jobe
Heptode

Many thanks Jeremy,
Jim
Old 1st Mar 2010, 2:18 pm   #45
stephen
Triode

A big thank you to Jeremy for doing this. The boxes are excellent.
I've spent the weekend creating order out of the chaos that was my valve storage.
Unfortuntaly I made a mistake when i ordered them - i did not order enough. If there are any spare small boxes i'd like them and would like to order more if you repeat the exercise.
One thing i have noticed though is the amount of space taken up by the valves has probably trebled. I used to store them in trays and the packing density with boxes is much less efficient.
Old 1st Mar 2010, 2:44 pm   #46
Pamphonica
Nonode

Boxes have now been sent out to all those who ordered, with the exception of Phil (Phil, you have a PM), and Howard who will collect at Harpenden. So that basically completes this order cycle.

I have further interest currently for 750 small, 100 GT, 300 med and 50 large. Interested parties I have logged are:
Thermionic/Simon
Brian
AndyMic/Andy
Roger Walker
OldTT/Chris

It is pretty time consuming but if the order quantity reaches reasonable levels (last time we ordered 2200 boxes) I will look at sources again and consider doing another order, even though my needs are (for now) satisfied.

In the meanwhile, I would be interested in any other economical sources closer to home. Post and VAT made up over 55% of the last order. Nevertheless my best quotes in the UK were around 15p+VAT+delivery for small boxes as opposed to 12p incl VAT which we achieved. A German source was still much dearer than our lot, even with no VAT.

So, for the record, this order comprised:
1600 Small boxes
150 GT boxes
300 Medium boxes
150 Large boxes

The source was Paul Burt, who turns out to be a retired printer living in Christchurch, NZ. He made boxes in his spare work time out of card offcuts and built up a stock before he retired. He basically supplies the NZVRS. He was incredibly helpful, including taking a UK sterling cheque (!) and fashioning a superb handle on the 15Kg package to ease handling. Very nice chap.

Thanks to everyone who responded. At first I thought it would just be the dreaded "deadly hush", but was pleased we have got a good result for the Forum.

To simplify things as this thread is 3 pages long now, I suggest that this thread is closed. Anyone who is interested in boxes can drop me a PM, and I will start a new thread if a further order looks on the cards.

All the best
Old 1st Mar 2010, 2:56 pm   #47
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

All credit to Pamphonica for sorting out this valve box order but it somehow feels wrong to be shipping cardboard halfway round the world. How far did you investigate UK suppliers? Googling cardboard box manufacturers gives loads of hits. I'm sure most will be irrelevant but maybe one will be the right company.
Old 1st Mar 2010, 5:00 pm   #48
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

From what I understand Jeremy exhausted all avenues and did look to the UK, Europe and finally settled on NZ. Sometimes home grown or near, just does not match cost effectiveness.

I too have spent quite a lot of time googling and it would have to be a custom cut as due to the sizes, this comes at a premium.

Agreed shipping from NZ may not be PC but that's OT
Old 1st Mar 2010, 5:51 pm   #49
Pamphonica
Nonode

I agree completely with Jeff - it's bonkers! But the pricing was so much higher any other way.
I approached a number of wholesale valve traders. Only one responded - 16p+VAT for small boxes.
I found a printer locally who was prepared to quote, but the best he could do was again 16p+VAT for a 2000 off quantity, of only one size.
But that doesn't mean we won't all keep looking!
Old 1st Mar 2010, 6:15 pm   #50
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I know that one of my friends in the player piano world had some excellent boxes made for piano rolls. In the UK and at a fair price. These are much more luxurious boxes than valve boxes but I'll ask him about his research into suppliers.
Old 1st Mar 2010, 6:46 pm   #51
Pamphonica
Nonode

...maybe we'll keep this thread alive a bit longer since we are still looking at supply, but in the UK.
Old 1st Mar 2010, 9:00 pm   #52
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Jeremy,
I will want some.
Remind me on Sunday and we can discuss it.
Old 1st Mar 2010, 11:59 pm   #53
McMurdo
Dekatron

We do have a particularly capable uk manufacturer up the road from us here, and as I've discussed with Jeremy already, has already forwarded samples of the correct quality to me. The problem is that for many manufacturers, they won't immediately have the die cutting form on the shelf and so one has to be fabricated for each individual size and style of box. A dieform costs around £100-200 each (depending on complexity) though of course is 'for keeps' once it's been made. This has to be swallowed in the initial order so making the first few boxes slightly dearer. Jeremy's chappie had already got the appropriate dieforms so we havent had to swallow this.
The company that sent me samples used their standard stock range which are nearly right but not quite, ie they dont have the built-in gripper flap that modern valve boxes have (vintage boxes of course wrapped the valve in corrugated cardboard or tissue). They're also not quite the right size although most valves fit them.

As we're only talking a difference of a couple of pence per box between the import and the domestic, I agreed with Jeremy that his source was the best bet and his are already the exact size and shape.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 8:41 am   #54
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

This is the reply I got from my player piano friend with minor edits:

Quote:
What you probably want for valves (if being authentic) are "die cut cartons" that are made from a single piece of cut, scored and folded card, supplied flat. Odd as it might sound, there is a standard set of carton styles, which makes comparison and ordering easy. You can see the FEFCO styles at http://www.fefco.org/fileadmin/Fefco...nglish_uk2.pdf These don't define size, just style.

{for the roll boxes} MacCarthy & Sons in Woolwich, a small family firm that is very easy to deal with - give them a call and just ask for what's wanted You' could discuss what type of card to use - plain or corrugated. See http://www.maccarthyandsons.com/DieCuts.htm and have a scan of their other pages.

If you want a few tens of thousands, you can choose folks like the London Fancy Box Company or one of the many others in the game - they do things like Cadbury's Easter eggs, really high volume. There are vast numbers of carton-makers! Google by the FEFCO style.
Old 16th Apr 2010, 4:35 pm   #55
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Did anything ever materialise about further suppliers? I only ask since there is a German seller on eBay who is selling hundreds of new valve boxes.

Michael
Old 16th Apr 2010, 4:52 pm   #56
stephen
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
Hello,

Did anything ever materialise about further suppliers? I only ask since there is a German seller on eBay who is selling hundreds of new valve boxes.

Michael
There was only the original buy of valve boxes earlier in the year and i think there were more people wanted them just after the order was sent.
As there are some rules about posting auction item details on here can you send me a pm with the item number as i would like to have a look.
Old 16th Apr 2010, 5:51 pm   #57
Pamphonica
Nonode

Just to clarify - I do still have potential orders for 850 small (EL84), 50 GT (GZ34), 350 Medium (EL34) and 50 Large (KT66). However, we probably need at least twice that total order to make postage from NZ realistic. The last order was about 2200 pieces.

To recap on prices we achieved, in case local supply works out better:
Sm: 12p
GT: 15p
Med: 17p
Lge: 26p
All plus postage but include VAT (we had to pay VAT on the import).

I will keep the books open but would probably suggest we wait until a better (more local) source emerges.
Only too happy if someone else want to take over the next order!

all the best
Old 16th Apr 2010, 6:24 pm   #58
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

PM sent to Stephen.

Michael
Old 16th Apr 2010, 6:41 pm   #59
stephen
Triode

Thank you Michael

For info the small boxes ex germany are priced at
with internal flap £12 hundred plus £8 pandp but you can have up to 300 for that p and p or up to 1700 for £20 p and p
without internal flap £8.90 per hundred plus p and p as above..

A search for Röhrenfaltschachteln will produce results
Old 6th May 2010, 11:12 am   #60
Andymic
Retired Dormant Member

Jeremy,

You have me on 150 x small on back order.
I could also take say 50 x GT, 50 x Med and 50 x Lge.

How close would we be to an order?

Andy
Closed Thread