UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2004, 3:50 pm   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default Aluminium solder

Hi all
Just found a packet of flux cored Aluminium solder. Thought it might come in handy, but how do I use it?
Packet says an iron of about 300 deg c can be used, but do I still use a copper bit?
Thanks
Tim
Old 28th Jul 2004, 4:50 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Aluminium solder

I have some of this solder as well Tim. I have never used it because I am sure that some special conditions need to be met to get a good joint. I am sure that you have to clean up the aluminium surface immediately before soldering since it oxidises rapidly, maybe some special flux is needed as well.
Neil Deacon
Old 28th Jul 2004, 5:10 pm   #3
GMB
Dekatron

You can get flux-cored aluminium solder which solves the problem of the flux.

I have used it and it works better than you might expect, but it is certainly more problematical than conventional soldering of copper or steel.

The results depend rather a lot on the exact kind of aluminium that you have. Pure aluminium is fine but many of the common alloys are hopeless.

Aluminium solder is actually not that different to the ordinary kind. It has added silver.

I have a PDF about it which I think I got from the Farnell web site although the document came from "Multicore".

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:00 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 28th Jul 2004, 5:26 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

I've successfully used it to make cans for Quad O/P trannys. It's expensive but if you tin the Ali with it first, using a BIG iron you can then use ordinary solder afterwards.
Ed

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:00 pm.
Old 28th Jul 2004, 7:26 pm   #5
Colin
Heptode

You can use ordinary solder to solder to aluminium but you mustn't let the aluminium oxidize which it does instantly when it comes in contact with the air. One way to do this is explained below but it's messy and smelly! I've managed to solder to aluminium by simply creating a pool of molten solder on the aluminium and then scraping the aluminium under the solder with the soldering iron bit (use a hot iron with an old bit). This allows streaks of solder to adhere to the unoxidised aluminium that's been scraped clean by the bit. It doesn't take much to get a reasonable area of solder firmly attached to the aluminium. You can then solder to that 'tinned' area. I've only done this when attaching a wire to the Aluminium though. It may prove more difficult for bigger jobs.

John Yurek's, K3PGP description of a simple method of soldering aluminium using ordinary rosin core solder.

"NOTE: You can solder to aluminium foil if you provide a barrier so that the atmosphere can't oxidize the joint as you are heating it. Most types of oil will work for this including the common 3 in 1. Place a little bit of oil on the foil and begin heating the foil under the oil with the soldering iron while using a slight circular wiping motion and applying solder. It takes a little practice to make this work but it can be done.

PS - Don't try the soldering technique inside the house if you don't like the smell of burning oil!..."

rgds
Colin

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:01 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 28th Jul 2004, 11:14 pm   #6
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

I thought it was more to do with the flux you used than the solder. I had an idea you could use something like Jenolite rust remover as a flux as it contained Phosphoric acid. Will not be responsible for destruction of soldering iron or worse!! (probably not wise to breath the fumes).

Paul E

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:02 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2004, 1:07 am   #7
Alan_Douglas
Retired Dormant Member

While it's possible to make a soldered junction, the finished joints tend to corrode at the interface over time. So overall, it's not a practical proposition.
Closed Thread