UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2004, 9:53 am   #1
ailsaman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Refurbishing BUSH letters on TR82 et al

I see from one of the threads on my request for VTR103 bits that someone was asking how to remove the letters. Broken letters and worn away chrome or gilt finish seems common, mine were showing plastic so I decided to smarten them up.

The plastic ones are fixed by melting the ends, but I found that if the lugs are given a sharp tap with a thin punch or similar the 'seal' can be broken. The letters must then be pushed out from the back. I have just removed mine and treated them to a coat of 'chrome' paint - I used an 'odds & ends' aerosol. I'm quite impressed with the finish, I don't know about the durability but if non-abrasive cleaner is used they should last another 30 or so years.

Refitting the letters, they can be secured with a dab of superglue.

Hope this tip is helpful.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 10:55 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Closed Thread