UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2004, 9:04 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Fitting new replacement aerials to Hacker sets

The following relates to my recent reply to a 'parts wanted' post, but involves a description of some bodgery & witchcraft so is more appropriate posted here, It is regarding the fitment of new, larger o/d aerials to Hacker Heralds RP37A & RP31SW and to Sovereigns RP18 & RP25 (Yes, I know the aerial on the 31SW & early 18 did not originally have a hinged joint, but this is about using what we can get to keep these old things alive!

The rubber grommet through which the aerial passes in the RP18/25/31SW & RP37A chassis will need to be bored out slightly to accommodate the extra girth of the aerial, & the 'P' clamp that locates the bottom of the aerial to the chassis side member must either be replaced by a bigger one or used without a rubber sleeve. The other mod you will need to make is the opening up of the hole in the dial. Do this slowly and use a sharp, high quality drill. These aerials are intended for a large Roberts set, possibly an R707, but I do not currently own one of those so cannot confirm that it is for that set.

As stated in my reply to the 'parts wanted' post on the above topic, the aerials mentioned came from a radio shop in the Southern half of the UK, but I cannot give further details as I cannot say how many aerials they are able or willing to supply. The things are probably available on the web though.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 11:59 am. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Closed Thread