UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2009, 4:06 pm   #1
dazaaa1
Retired Dormant Member

Default younger member with an interesting old sony

Hi,
My name is dazaa and I am 14 years old. I never really thought about old tv's untill I found an old sony trinitron thrown away afew months back. I have done some research and it seems to be the first colour trinitron with a 12" screen. I am off to take some pictures off it( it is in my leaking garden shed) and will post them asap. The main question I have is, is it worth me listing it forsale or should I throw it back in the skip?

regards
dazaa
Old 24th Jul 2009, 4:26 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: younger member with an interesting old sony

It will help if you post the model number, which will be on the back somewhere.

TVs like this aren't worth a lot of money generally, but they are classic designs and can be used with a digibox via a modulator or VCR.

Be very careful if you don't have much experience. TVs of all types have high voltages inside which can give you a nasty belt even after being switched off for a while, and the glass tubes can explode violently if you break them. Ask for assistance before doing anything you're not sure about.

Paul
Old 24th Jul 2009, 4:45 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Sony's are collectable, but the word Collectable and the word Valuable are two different words. Look on Ebay to see the prices such things go for. If it's got a wooden case and it is an early model, then it'll fetch more.

If it's been wet, don't just plug it in. Put it somewhere dry and warm for two weeks with the back off. Get the moisture out first, then we can take it from there if you want to. Or put it on here and see if anyone bites.

It can still be made to work sfter the digital switchover by the way...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 24th Jul 2009, 4:57 pm   #4
dazaaa1
Retired Dormant Member

Well it isn't a wooden case one, and the white finish needs a very good clean. I had a quick look at the back and there seems to be some light rust on somthing. I am not sure if it's worth repairing. I don't feel confident enough to start pulling it apart and I don't really want to ruin what could be a great resto project for someone. So any idea as to what I should do with it? Even if I only get a tenner for it thats one less tv for the rubbish tip and I made some money out of nothing.

dazaa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	27413   Click image for larger version

Name:	117.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	27414   Click image for larger version

Name:	118.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	27415   Click image for larger version

Name:	119.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	27416  

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 24th Jul 2009 at 5:35 pm. Reason: Huge embedded images thumbnailed.
Old 24th Jul 2009, 6:27 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Place an advert in Sets + Parts Offered below and see if anyone bites. Or place it on Ebay with a £10 start.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 24th Jul 2009, 9:04 pm   #6
Studio263
Octode

That's an interesting model, the two tuners suggest to me that it's a German market one (the white cabinet also supports this) It looks like a KV-1300E, see:

http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/sony73/sony73-12.jpg

They are 13" sets of course. An earlier Sony set called the KV-1300 was sold in other markets but it is quite different in detail. This one uses a similar chassis to our KV-1310UB and KV-1330UB so it isn't the first Trinitron chassis to be sold in Europe, that was the earlier KV-1320UB type.

Although these sets go back almost to to start of colour in the UK the survival rate has been very high, 13" Sony colour sets of all types survive in large numbers and some even still have quite good tubes in. The odd circuitry puts some people off but to others it is a positive attraction, I like old Sony sets, when they are good they are very very good but when they are bad...

Go on, get it going. You know you want to!
Old 25th Jul 2009, 9:16 am   #7
dazaaa1
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the info. To be honest I really need to clear up and I only posted it on here to see if it's worth selling. Since the power lead has been cut off I am assuming there must be a fault. I would rather pass it too someone more capable so I am going to list on the sales forum, if it doesn't sell on there or ebay then it will feed the skip.
Old 25th Jul 2009, 10:30 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

If all else fails, don't skip it - put it on freecycle - someone, somewhere, will be glad of it, I'm sure.
Old 27th Jul 2009, 7:15 pm   #9
dazaaa1
Retired Dormant Member

Rather that risk pulling it apart I am going to start restoring the cabinet. Will start a seperate thread on this. Perhaps, i could find another tuner and it would make a great display piece. Then maybe one day I could find someone to repair the insides. I will however post a picture of the insides and give it all a good clean up..
dazaa
Closed Thread