UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2009, 1:49 pm   #1
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Default Yesterday I had a question

Hi !
And I was not sure about the answer.
The question was : "Why do you need to put a resistor to couple two stereo outputs into one mono input ?"
I answered that it *had* to be done this way, but I wonder why also ... (wiring the two 4.7K into the tiny 2.5 mm jack was a little difficult for my big fingers...)
So, please, help me looking less dumb ;-)
Old 8th Jun 2009, 2:11 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Yesterday I had a question

Because the outputs are low-impedance voltage sources, and they may be sourcing different voltages. If you connect them together without additional resistors, then the difference between the two voltage sources is developed across no more than the sum of the effective series impedances; causing a large current to flow out of one amplifier output into the other one. This is not at all good for the output transistors.

Adding your own resistors in series with the outputs means that this current is reduced.
Old 8th Jun 2009, 5:18 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

For stereo, the two channels will generally be carrying different signals. Connecting them directly together means the outputs will fight each other. Adding resistors stops this.
Old 11th Jun 2009, 2:32 pm   #4
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Thanks for your knowledge !
Closed Thread